Steering Wheel Shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erniecsays

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy yall,

Pretty sure I know the aswer to this already but figured i’d get some other opinions.

Had the Gen 3 leveled out with RPG 1.5 up front, KMCs and K02 37 Load Range D installed.

Truck looks great and runs like a champ, but now that im putting some actual mileage on it there’s something that’s driving me crazy... the steering wheel shimmies any time i’m going at highway speed.

I assumed the wheels and tires needed to rebalanced, took it to a mom and pop shop and they indeed said they were off balance… drove away and it‘s even worse.

Is my theory correct and just need to have them rebalanced yet again? Americas tire? Open to all suggestions.

Much appreciated!

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things. I’ve had great luck using “Checkered Flag” balance beads in my Raptor…now on set 3 of KO2s.

I’ve read all about road force balancing, blah, blah, blah. The beads have done me well, including a 70 mile stretch of local 2 lane where I average high 90s, reaching governed top speed, all with zero shimmy.

And number two…road surface telegraphs to the steering wheel and your hands. Might be what’s happening.

Good luck!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve read all about road force balancing, blah, blah, blah

#MeToo. And then I had my shagged KO2’s replaced with newer ones and had OP’s problem. Took it to discount tire, they R/F balanced the shït out of those wheels and tires. Problem solved. As in, like the factory ride, but without the 1.7 pounds of wheel weights :)

I’ve read all about the comfort tire beads, but the road force balance has done right by me :)

I guess there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy yall,

Pretty sure I know the aswer to this already but figured i’d get some other opinions.

Had the Gen 3 leveled out with RPG 1.5 up front, KMCs and K02 37 Load Range D installed.

Truck looks great and runs like a champ, but now that im putting some actual mileage on it there’s something that’s driving me crazy... the steering wheel shimmies any time i’m going at highway speed.

I assumed the wheels and tires needed to rebalanced, took it to a mom and pop shop and they indeed said they were off balance… drove away and it‘s even worse.

Is my theory correct and just need to have them rebalanced yet again? Americas tire? Open to all suggestions.

Much appreciated!

Did you get this resolved? I recently added 2.25 perch collars and factory 37BFGs and am experiencing the same issue. I have an appointment to get the tires re-balanced.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may be not, but after a lift, it coulld be interesting to check the complete alignement (parralelism, camber...) sorry, my english is limited , don't know if I use good words...

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my 2 cents...

I installed the 1.5" collars and new 0 offset method rims and 37" Falken at3W tires. Steering wheel shook a little. Thought "the wheels and tires need re-balanced". I took it back to shop and they re-did it. Shook even worse. Did some reading. It turns out not all balance machines can really do big tires like 37s I guess. Took it to a brand new Les Schawb and had them balance them... No more shaking.

OP
OP
erniecsays

erniecsays

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get this resolved? I recently added 2.25 perch collars and factory 37BFGs and am experiencing the same issue. I have an appointment to get the tires re-balanced.
i haven’t.

the shake is marginal, was driving me crazy initially but have learned to live with it.

i had the tires rebalanced twice, second time the big chain shop marred the heck out of my shiny new wheels and i was super pissed…

i’ve read the KO2 can be “out of round” etc etc… after reading that i kind of gave up tbh.

thinking of swapping to toyo or general at some point and giving it a go again.

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven’t.

the shake is marginal, was driving me crazy initially but have learned to live with it.

i had the tires rebalanced twice, second time the big chain shop marred the heck out of my shiny new wheels and i was super pissed…

i’ve read the KO2 can be “out of round” etc etc… after reading that i kind of gave up tbh.

thinking of swapping to toyo or general at some point and giving it a go again.
I'll report back after re-balancing. Now that I think about it, I had the same issue with the factory 35s after I switched to methods. They put square balancing weights on the inside of the rim on the 35s and that took care of it (This was a wheel alignment shop not a big box tire store). I noticed that they used the weights that clip in along the bead on the 37s, so I am wondering if that is the issue...