Steering Wheel Red alignment strip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
A whole new steering wheel just because the red strip is worn out? Definitely over- kill on that repair. Another 20K and it will be worn out again. Do you wear a ring on either hand? There are replacement strips available in red and blue.
Replacements are for gen1 currently. If I’m wrong I’d like a silver/grey strip...

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
A whole new steering wheel just because the red strip is worn out? Definitely over- kill on that repair. Another 20K and it will be worn out again. Do you wear a ring on either hand? There are replacement strips available in red and blue.

It's good customer service and especially since you can't buy the red strip from Ford on its own.

I have 99k on my Raptor and the strip still looks new. But then again I don't let Vin Diesel drive my Raptor...

fast-and-furious-0412-800x496.jpg

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good customer service and especially since you can't buy the red strip from Ford on its own.

I have 99k on my Raptor and the strip still looks new. But then again I don't let Vin Diesel drive my Raptor...

I fail to see where it has anything to do with "good customer service". It just causes higher prices for everyone else. Replacing a whole steering wheel for the strip is very costly. As a result, those costs go into the database that ultimately determines parts replacement rates for evryone else as well as the cost of new vehicles.

As with you, the red strip on my 5 year old Gen 1 looks like new. I do not drive with a hand at 12 o'clock, nor do I wear any rings.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I fail to see where it has anything to do with "good customer service". It just causes higher prices for everyone else. Replacing a whole steering wheel for the strip is very costly. As a result, those costs go into the database that ultimately determines parts replacement rates for evryone else as well as the cost of new vehicles.

This was back in 2012, long before there were aftermarket options on the strip and the Raptor was still well within warranty and Ford approved the warranty replacement. And even if the OP had aftermarket options back in 2012 why should he have to do that when his truck is under warranty?

Suggesting the OP should not have made a warranty claim on a new truck within it's warranty period because it *may* increase the cost of parts is ludicrous.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was back in 2012, long before there were aftermarket options on the strip and the Raptor was still well within warranty and Ford approved the warranty replacement. And even if the OP had aftermarket options back in 2012 why should he have to do that when his truck is under warranty?

Suggesting the OP should not have made a warranty claim on a new truck within it's warranty period because it *may* increase the cost of parts is ludicrous.

No where in my post did I suggest "the OP should not have made a warrenty claim". Ford, or any other company, isn't going to replace parts for free without it going into their costs of doing business. To suggest so by anyone is "ludicrous". There is no free lunch.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
No where in my post did I suggest "the OP should not have made a warrenty claim". Ford, or any other company, isn't going to replace parts for free without it going into their costs of doing business. To suggest so by anyone is "ludicrous". There is no free lunch.

Back in 2012 nobody had the strips available and once again, the truck was under warranty so why would the OP go buy one when it's covered under warranty? Any business that doesn't factor in the cost of potential warranty costs with their sales price probably doesn't stay in business very long.

Warranty costs for automakers have remain fairly consistent and low so if you really think Ford is going to raise the price of a steering wheel because some poor schlub did a warranty claim we'll go back and talk more about that word ludicrous.

https://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20180308.html

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in 2012 nobody had the strips available and once again, the truck was under warranty so why would the OP go buy one when it's covered under warranty? Any business that doesn't factor in the cost of potential warranty costs with their sales price probably doesn't stay in business very long.

Warranty costs for automakers have remain fairly consistent and low so if you really think Ford is going to raise the price of a steering wheel because some poor schlub did a warranty claim we'll go back and talk more about that word ludicrous.

https://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20180308.html

"...Any business that doesn't factor in the cost of potential warranty costs with their sales price probably doesn't stay in business very long..." Exactly. That's what I said.

"...if you really think Ford is going to raise the price of a steering wheel because some poor schlub did a warranty claim we'll go back and talk more about that word ludicrous..." One 'poor schlub', as you called the OP, doesn't make much difference, whereas 10,000 similar claims would. It all goes into the cost of doing business. As a result, pricing will be adjusted accordingly. There is no free lunch.

Good debate. You can have the last word.

Ray Bones

Reaction score
It's probably cheaper to replace the wheel than it is to pull the leather cover off, restitch it, put it back on, and reinstall the wheel. All the switches and buttons were probably swapped over and reinstalled on the new steering wheel so it's not really all that expensive.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably cheaper to replace the wheel than it is to pull the leather cover off, restitch it, put it back on, and reinstall the wheel. All the switches and buttons were probably swapped over and reinstalled on the new steering wheel so it's not really all that expensive.

Why not just change out the colored strip, then none of that has to be done.