Steering Wheel Radio Controls wrong mapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinh

Reaction score
My 2017 Raptor has recently started having a mind of it's own with the steering wheel radio controls, volume up selects the voice control, side to side sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Seems like a common issue with older ones but I don't find as much for the newer ones.

Is the only solution to replace the control?

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue... but very intermittent. Most common is volume up activates voice command. After I start the truck each time, if it does it will consistently do it for the rest of the trip.
I kinda figured something has gotten in the controls, dirt of debris. Plan to clean it when I pull the trim piece to refinish it.
I saw the electronic control is pretty cheap. So maybe replace it too.

Reaction score
Have you done any forscan mods? I actually set my steering wheel controls oposite of what they are, volume buttons control the cluster display and up and down arrows control volume now, I love it, now I have my coffee on my right hand and I can skip tunes or adjust volume with my left.

Reaction score
My 2017 has started doing this as well. Usually pressing the volume up button triggers the voice command. Sometimes they work right, sometimes they don't. It's very frustrating, has anyone determined what the root cause is?

OP
OP
J

justinh

Reaction score
My 2017 has started doing this as well. Usually pressing the volume up button triggers the voice command. Sometimes they work right, sometimes they don't. It's very frustrating, has anyone determined what the root cause is?
Exact same problem I have. Mine started working normally again for about a week and is now back to acting up. Almost seems climate related (humidity/temp).

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most like liquids/dirt/debris in the switch pack affecting the resistance readings. Each switch has a specific resistance that the control module reads when a button is pressed.