GEN 2 Steering wheel off center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sf2360

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the new truck yesterday and driving around IIMG_2049.jpeg notices the red line is not centered while driving on the highway. Is this normal or something up with Alignment.

IMG_2044.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a pet peeve of mine. None of the Ford trucks I’ve owned have come from the factory with a straight steering wheel. Simply drives me crazy. You’d think Ford could get this right!

Your dealer can properly set the toe as part of an alignment under warranty if it is performed within 12 months or 12K miles.

mhermann80

Reaction score
Have the same problem on a brand new 2020 I just purchased. Ford checked alignment and steering wheel alignment and said no problems... so I'm off to a different alignment shop because I'm not convinced. Were you able to resolve yours?

OP
OP
sf2360

sf2360

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it to ford and here 's what they said.
C/s Alignment is off. The vehicle pulling right, verified customer concern and found alignment was slightly off. Performed wheel alignment.

Not sure what the did helped all that much. I'm going to take it to a qualified truck wheel alignment place. I'll keep you informed.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
C/s Alignment is off. The vehicle pulling right, verified customer concern and found alignment was slightly off. Performed wheel alignment.

Not sure what the did helped all that much. I'm going to take it to a qualified truck wheel alignment place. I'll keep you informed.
note. you can have a perfect alignment with an off center steering wheel. just depends if they took the time to look at the red line. i know in some vehicles and certain tuners allow you to have an indicator light for a centered steering wheel during alignments.

and after many many shops letting me down i just decided to do them all myself from now on. just dont get why its sooo hard for people to do what they are paid for/supposed to do.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

There appears to be some confusion between alignment and clear vision. My guess is that the dealer adjusted toe (which wasn't the concern) and neglected to correct clear vision.

Clear vision is the position of the steering wheel when traveling straight. You can have toe set perfectly, but that doesn't mean the steering wheel will be straight. All steering/suspension techs should be familiar with a steering wheel holder; it essentially locks the wheel while toe is adjusted to ensure that when the steering wheel points straight, the vehicle is traveling straight.

Last edited:

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
toe needs to be corrected while steering wheel is straight. If wheel is off center and toe fixed then your wheel will most likely be off. Keep in mind most roads have a small crown to the right so sometimes that can cause a slight pull to right. Good alignment shop should be able to fix this. There are alot of shops that havent had their alignment machine calibrated in a long time. That can also result in some issues.