Steering Wheel Not Centered?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong answer to reset the steering wheel. There is a "tight spot" in the center of most steering racks and boxes where the clearances are tighter which helps prevent front end shimmy. In fact, when setting up a front end from scratch the very first step is to center the rack/steering box. Take it back and make them do it right-the mileage on tires and even gas will prove out over time!!!!! BTW just like the kid at the tire store that that marks the tire to the rim pulls off the tire to patch a small leak and puts it back together and says balance will be good don't let them just loosen the tie rod clamps spin one three turns one way and the other three turns the other way and call it good without checking it out. In other words make them check all three alignment adjustments, castor, camber and toe-in. This is particularly since they already admitted there was a problem with the machine being out of calibration.

Last edited:

2022 Ruth

Reaction score
Wrong answer to reset the steering wheel. There is a "tight spot" in the center of most steering racks and boxes where the clearances are tighter which helps prevent front end shimmy. In fact, when setting up a front end from scratch the very first step is to center the rack/steering box. Take it back and make them do it right-the mileage on tires and even gas will prove out over time!!!!! BTW just like the kid at the tire store that that marks the tire to the rim pulls off the tire to patch a small leak and puts it back together and says balance will be good don't let them just loosen the tie rod clamps spin one three turns one way and the other three turns the other way and call it good without checking it out. In other words make them check all three alignment adjustments, castor, camber and toe-in. This is particularly since they already admitted there was a problem with the machine being out of calibration.
Haha. Of course not but it works if it’s minor. If all else checks out and the wheel is off slightly, it can compensate if only a few degrees off.

How do you know someone didn’t put a new steering wheel in and didn’t put it on straight. :).

Nick Garrity

Reaction score
Following to see what happens as I have the same issue and am about to have my tires replaced!! Thanks and good luck

OP
OP
Geldingmakr

Geldingmakr

Reaction score
I use older Hunter alignment equipment. Have the dealer redo the alignment with rear axle reference. Ask for a print out. Post it here. i've done over 80,000 alignments over the years. ( starting in 1972) I'll be glad to read it for you.
77EC6A62-A07F-4E9D-B706-151039516EE9.jpeg
I use older Hunter alignment equipment. Have the dealer redo the alignment with rear axle reference. Ask for a print out. Post it here. i've done over 80,000 alignments over the years. ( starting in 1972) I'll be glad to read it for you.
It’s about half way better. Instead of 1/2 to 5/8” to the left it’s about 1/4”.

I guess my next step is to remove the steering wheel. I am not spending a 4th day without the truck while they “re-align” again.

It was about 1/4” to the right when I bought it and that’s why I had them check the alignment. So now it’s 1/4” to the left. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PTYHRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to me at the Ford dealer. Basically took them half day to align my truck correctly. Said it was the machine too..."machine" they got it right though, eventually. Oh and didnt charge me for the alignment at the end of all of it. NOT saying thats a win bc of wasted time. Good luck

OP
OP
Geldingmakr

Geldingmakr

Reaction score
It’s fixed. Local tire shop successfully made driving fun again. Steering wheel is 100% straight and the truck is tracking straight down the road. Also, I went to the Ford Dealership and they refunded the cost they charged me last week for the alignment. 535C74AB-41E4-4A6F-8D56-A90C0C6707C1.jpeg

Last edited: