Steering Wheel Not Centered?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geldingmakr

Reaction score
Took my new to me Roush Raptor to my Ford dealer this morning. I got my state inspection, oil change, rotation, and alignment for good measure. Now the steering wheel is 1/2 to 3/4” left of center. I took it back and they “fixed” it again. It’s the same or a little worse. Driving video

Is this a hard fix? Am I wasting my time taking it back tomorrow?

Attachments

• 7FE762BD-A210-46E1-B9C6-21C4467436E2.jpeg
    7FE762BD-A210-46E1-B9C6-21C4467436E2.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 7

2022 Ruth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the age old super easy trick.

Take off the steering wheel and center it. I think you’d be chasing steering and suspension issues all day trying to compensate.

GWBush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it on my 2005 for the same issue. Pretty much the steps below. I just took everything off. Pulled the wheel, made it centered and pushed it back in. Put the nut on and reassembled. Maybe something like that would work.

Yep. I was tired of chasing alignment issues on a couple vehicles and did the same. Just pop it off and shift it over and bolt it up. Works when it’s not too bad… not so much of its more extreme.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of me solving this for the Ford Dealership. I paid them for an alignment, shouldn't they be able to get the steering wheel straight? Plus I don't have a T-50 bit handy.
Yes, they should get it right... you should demand them to do so, however, given what has occurred so far, it will likely cost you more of your time without any guarantee of success... not any help now, but I would never recommend have a dealership do an alignment... I would take it to a reputable alignment shop...

Personally, since I both race (mustang) and go offroad (raptor), I long ago invested in a long acre and smart string setup which I adapted to use on the raptor, do all my alignments myself...

OP
OP
Geldingmakr

Geldingmakr

Reaction score
Yes, they should get it right... you should demand them to do so, however, given what has occurred so far, it will likely cost you more of your time without any guarantee of success... not any help now, but I would never recommend have a dealership do an alignment... I would take it to a reputable alignment shop...

Personally, since I both race (mustang) and go offroad (raptor), I long ago invested in a long acre and smart string setup which I adapted to use on the raptor, do all my alignments myself...
They texted me yesterday and said they just found that their alignment machine is out of calibration. They ordered parts and said they’d call me today when it’s fixed and ready to redo my alignment. I am skeptical on the “out of the calibration” and I am not holding my breath on a call from them today.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They texted me yesterday and said they just found that their alignment machine is out of calibration. They ordered parts and said they’d call me today when it’s fixed and ready to redo my alignment. I am skeptical on the “out of the calibration” and I am not holding my breath on a call from them today.
Honestly I wouldn’t doubt it. A lot of shops neglect the maintenance and repairs on their equipment until they break or cause issues like the one you’re experiencing. The Hunter equipment is very well built, so it’s not surprising to see 20 year old alignment racks still in use. Just because they still work doesn’t mean they’re accurate though. You can identify the newer machines by the heads, they clamp on to the tire instead of the wheel lip.