Steering wheel button issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Johnson

Reaction score
Mine was doing same thing, volume up would change track, change track would change source etc, would work intermittently, replaced it and no issues since

ScottRaptor

Reaction score
Digging up a very old thread via search instead of creating a new one...hope this is ok.

Here is my issue. My directional pad part of the steering wheel control button does not respond (left button, top half). The cruise control part of the button works fine and the other button (volume, track, etc) also work just fine. After doing some online research I first checked the Steering Wheel Control Module fuse in the interior fuse panel and it does not appear popped. Next I decided to replace the clock spring. After replacing with a new clock spring, I tried the d-pad and it was still non-operational. Lastly I replaced the actual button for a new one and I'm in the same spot, everything works except the directional part of the button.

Any other troubleshooting ideas from the group?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Digging up a very old thread via search instead of creating a new one...hope this is ok.

Here is my issue. My directional pad part of the steering wheel control button does not respond (left button, top half). The cruise control part of the button works fine and the other button (volume, track, etc) also work just fine. After doing some online research I first checked the Steering Wheel Control Module fuse in the interior fuse panel and it does not appear popped. Next I decided to replace the clock spring. After replacing with a new clock spring, I tried the d-pad and it was still non-operational. Lastly I replaced the actual button for a new one and I'm in the same spot, everything works except the directional part of the button.

Any other troubleshooting ideas from the group?

What year truck and what audio system?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since you already replaced the clock spring and switch, you most likely have a circuit issue between the switch and clock spring or between the clock spring and Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). It’s possible that the IPC is at fault, but that’s least likely. If you have ForScan or can obtain it, you can pull DTCs from the IPC to help narrow down the fault in the event that it’s a short to ground, short to voltage, short together, etc.

Here is the wiring diagram:

upload_2021-3-10_13-6-44.png