GEN 1 Steering Rack Replacment - Notes and Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure if the Raptor steering rack is special compared to other F150 models?

I ask as I killed my steering rack and I don't have time to fight ford as usual. RockAuto list 3 options. 2 are Raptor SVC specific and 1 is SVT package.

I can't find anything concrete on the interweb with search terms I have tried.

Turning to the community to see if we can document a thread with all steering rack information and links to DIY's and so on. The definitive Raptor steering thread as it where for Gen 1

Reference notes to start

Scab steering rack is slower than the screw so if you want a faster rack in the Scab buy a 145 wheel base rack.

Part numbers (RockAuto)
Scab = STG449 (raptor specific listed)
Screw = STG450 (raptor specific listed)

??? STRV91RM - listed as "Reman; w/ SVT Package" - and is only 361 vs 760 ???

Last edited:
OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah ordered and replaced the rack in less than a hour. Easy to do just costly.

Watch out for jumping trees.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My steering has recently started making a horrific noise when turning center-left. No noise at all turn center-right. I've lubed all my heims and uniballs with dry teflon lube with no reduction in noise. Would a bad rack make this noise? Poor video, but loud and clear audio! https://vimeo.com/194284836

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Raptor Scab and the long slow turning radius really annoys me.
I am damn near ready to spend the coin on a Screw steering rack.
Does the Screw steering rack offer a significant feel on a Scab?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Yeah ordered and replaced the rack in less than a hour. Easy to do just costly.

Watch out for jumping trees.

Which one did you end up getting?
I am debating about getting CL3Z-3V504-BRM to carry as a spare when off-roading if that is a viable option for a SCREW.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My steering has recently started making a horrific noise when turning center-left. No noise at all turn center-right. I've lubed all my heims and uniballs with dry teflon lube with no reduction in noise. Would a bad rack make this noise? Poor video, but loud and clear audio! https://vimeo.com/194284836

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup - bad rack. @Madcowranch would be able to verify, but his was doing this in Colorado shortly before his rack went to shit.....