GEN 1 Steering Rack Replacment - Notes and Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have searched for rebuild kits also. The issue I see is setting the pressure valve without some kind of hydraulic dyno. Please keep us updated i go through racks and pumps like bubble gum!!

Until I tear into it I won't know what the issues are. I have been making contacts sense we started the shock rebuilds so might there is a good chance to have a DIY for it.

Again need one to work on.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greased and lubed with no change. What exactly is the issue with tie rods that may cause this noise? The drivers side tie rod, which is the side the noise is coming from, is tighter than my passenger side when I twist it by hand.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My working theory is the seals are getting damaged by either grit and or over expansion. This causes pressure irregularities and hence the noise.

Similar to the noise you get on a tractor when hydraulic fluid is low or there is a slight leak.

Again working theory but could be something far more simple or far more complex. Had to start somewhere right.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Received my new rack. It is stamped FoMoCo so I'm guessing it's OEM?! I paid $530 without returning my rack.

But I'm now thinking the noise isn't my rack. After spraying the front end with water pretty well, the noise completely goes away for a bit. So a lube issue? I've greased the rack and put dry Teflon on all the uniballs and heims with no relief. Thoughts?

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Received my new rack. It is stamped FoMoCo so I'm guessing it's OEM?! I paid $530 without returning my rack.

But I'm now thinking the noise isn't my rack. After spraying the front end with water pretty well, the noise completely goes away for a bit. So a lube issue? I've greased the rack and put dry Teflon on all the uniballs and heims with no relief. Thoughts?

No, I listened to your video. It's your rack.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I could get mine to quiet down randomly as well. Corey convinced me to not wait to replace it. I guess the results from a rack coming apart at speed can be dicey.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

I was meticulous about flushing the PS fluid prior to hooking up the new rack. Something I read about contaminants frying the new rack.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could get mine to quiet down randomly as well. Corey convinced me to not wait to replace it. I guess the results from a rack coming apart at speed can be dicey.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

I was meticulous about flushing the PS fluid prior to hooking up the new rack. Something I read about contaminants frying the new rack.

Copy, thanks for the insight.

D

Deleted member 12951

Its a rebuild unit though, correct?