GEN 1 Steering rack replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never really had a vibration but deffinetly a clunk. It only takes a few minutes to tighten the rack. Inuse a 1” nut and just drop it in and tighten till snug and just back it off a touch.

You can buy racks on ebay for around 350.00

Sparty99

Reaction score
Trying to install a new bumper, was able to turn the two R&P frame mount bolts butt when I look around back I notice the whole mounting sleeve is spinning...is that normal? Do I need to some how hold the back stable while I turn the bolt head?

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I'm getting a vibration causing some feedback in the steering wheel when I turn at slow speeds, like in a parking garage. I had my shop look at it and they said it's coming from the steering rack. Were you getting a vibration along with the clunking noise?

My issue was similar and only in 4WD (high or low) that turned to be a broken C-clip on the passengers side diff. Did the usual IWE and half-shaft inspection and both were good other than a torn CV boot. When we pulled the half-shaft the axle came out from front diff!

Replaced the C-clip (along with shims in the front diff to clean up some slop) and all is good now. This all took place at 95k and I'm now at 105k with zero issues with the diff.

--

NM156

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a vibration causing some feedback in the steering wheel when I turn at slow speeds, like in a parking garage. I had my shop look at it and they said it's coming from the steering rack. Were you getting a vibration along with the clunking noise?

Hi, I have just started to have some what I wouldn't call big vibration, very tiny vibration, maybe like a hum i can feel on the steering wheel. I only feel this when I turning the steering slightly on the road. Putting the steering wheel straight shut the vibration/hum off. Could this be the steering rack going bad? I have a 13 Screw with 52k miles.

Also, when a rack does fail, does the steering completely fail - loss of control? Or does the steering get heavy, like no power steering?