GEN 1 Steering rack replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good guides or videos on how to change our Gen 1 steering racks? Mine is on the way out, and I need to make it a weekend project.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not that difficult. But you will most likely need a torch to heat up the 2 bolts mounting it to the frame.

A 1000 ft/lb impact gun wasn’t enough in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ajstar89

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those I got those no problem. I already removed them for my bumper a few weeks ago. I was just wondering if anyone had the the steps outlined in a repair manual.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going to be doing the same soon. The passenger side has fluid leaking at the bellows and I get a nice loose clunk sound when I give the wheel a little back and forth with the truck off. Seem like both inners are bad from crawling underneath and listening/feeling while someone moved the wheel for me.

Anyone know the part numbers for the o-rings?

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you replace the rack try to adjust it. In the front of the rack on the driverside there is a 1 1/8 bolt you can tighten down to remove any slack in the rack. There are a few youtube videos on adjusting the rack. Mine was making the clunking noise ,adjusted it and the noise is gone.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before you replace the rack try to adjust it. In the front of the rack on the driverside there is a 1 1/8 bolt you can tighten down to remove any slack in the rack. There are a few youtube videos on adjusting the rack. Mine was making the clunking noise ,adjusted it and the noise is gone.

Yeah, I saw that video a while back and thought about it, but the rack is leaking on the passenger side. Thanks for the heads up though.

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm getting a vibration causing some feedback in the steering wheel when I turn at slow speeds, like in a parking garage. I had my shop look at it and they said it's coming from the steering rack. Were you getting a vibration along with the clunking noise?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where are you guys buying your parts? Cheapest I've found is Rockauto at $701 shipped. (includes a $225 core fee, and I'd have to eat the shipping on the core)