steering noises at increasing rpm( new pump and fluid)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex zopp

Reaction score
hi all, has anyone ever had problems with the steering pump? the pump is new as the atf fluid but continues to make noise, they say it is a defect of ford, do you have any more information?

they told me that reservoir contains a filter screen and it may be too small for the pump size and it's for this reason that the pump doesen't work well.

thank!

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reservoir contains a screen that is essentially your power steering fluid filter. It is not "too small" or restrictive. If you have a failure of any component (rack, pump, etc) and don't change the reservoir, you will have a repeat failure.. Flush the system, replace the reservoir, and re-evaluate.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have to get all the air out of the system. i finally had an issue with my pump and replaced it. got replaced 5 times in 3 weeks. gotten to be an expert at it now. but the new pump will make noise until all the air is out of thr lines

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hi, I have the RPG reseirvoir. When I changed pump and oil I changed The old reseirvoir whit the rpg. But the noise is the same

You may have a leak or air trapped in the system that needs to be purged following the Workshop Manual procedure.

First, purge the system as follows:

211-00B Steering System — Hydraulic Power Assist Steering (HPAS) 2014 F-150
GENERAL PROCEDURES
Procedure revision date: 10/25/2013
Power Steering System Purging

Special Tool(s)

Evacuation Cap, Power Steering
211-265

Vacuum Pump Kit
416-D002 (D95L-7559-A) or equivalent

Material
Item Specification
Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-10-QLVC (US); CXT-10-LV12 (Canada) MERCON® LV
NOTICE: If the air is not purged from the power steering system correctly, premature power steering pump failure may result. The condition may occur on pre-delivery vehicles with evidence of aerated fluid or on vehicles that have had steering component repairs.

1. NOTE: A whine heard from the power steering pump can be caused by air in the system. The power steering purge procedure must be carried out prior to any component repair for which power steering noise complaints are accompanied by evidence of aerated fluid.

Remove the power steering reservoir cap. Check the fluid.
  1. Raise the front wheels off the floor. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 100 for the procedure.
  1. Tightly insert the Power Steering Evacuation Cap into the reservoir and connect the Vacuum Pump Kit
  1. Start the engine.
  1. Using the Vacuum Pump Kit, apply vacuum and maintain the maximum vacuum of 68-85 kPa (20-25 in-Hg).
    • If the Vacuum Pump Kit does not maintain vacuum, check the power steering system for leaks before proceeding. For additional information, refer to Power Steering Fluid Leak Test in this section.
  1. If equipped with Hydro-Boost®, apply the brake pedal 4 times.
  1. NOTICE: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump may occur.

Cycle the steering wheel fully from stop-to-stop 10 times.
  1. Stop the engine.
  1. Release the vacuum and remove the Vacuum Pump Kit and the Power Steering Evacuation Cap.
  1. NOTE: Do not overfill the reservoir.

Fill the reservoir as needed with the specified fluid.
  1. Start the engine.
  1. Install the Power Steering Evacuation Cap and the Vacuum Pump Kit. Apply and maintain the maximum vacuum of 68-85 kPa (20-25 in-Hg).
  1. NOTICE: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump may occur.

Cycle the steering wheel fully from stop-to-stop 10 times.
  1. Stop the engine, release the vacuum and remove the Vacuum Pump Kit and the Power Steering Evacuation Cap.
  1. NOTE: Do not overfill the reservoir.

Fill the reservoir as needed with the specified fluid and install the reservoir cap.
  1. Visually inspect the power steering system for leaks.
If the system is still noisy, check for leaks using the following procedure:

Power Steering Fluid Leak Test

NOTE: This test should only be carried out if a leak in the system has not been detected during a thorough visual inspection. Refer to Inspection and Verification.

1. Remove the power steering pump reservoir cap and check the power steering fluid level. If necessary, add the specified power steering fluid.
  1. Tightly install the Power Steering Evacuation Cap onto the reservoir and connect the Vacuum Pump Kit to the Evacuation Cap.
  1. Using the Vacuum Pump Kit, apply 68-85 kPa (20-25 in-Hg) of vacuum to the power steering system.
  1. Observe the vacuum gauge for 30 seconds. If the vacuum gauge reading drops more than 3 kPa (0.88 in-Hg), a leak is present.
  1. Remove the Vacuum Pump Kit.
  1. Start the engine and insert the Dial Thermometer into the Evacuation Cap.
  1. NOTICE: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump may occur.

With the engine at idle, raise the power steering fluid temperature to 74-80°C (165-176°F) by rotating the steering wheel fully to the left and right several times.
  1. Stop the engine and visually inspect the system for leaks.
    • If a leak is evident, repair as necessary.
    • If a leak is not evident, add the specified UV fluorescent tracer dye to the power steering fluid. Use 14.78 ml (1/2 oz) of dye solution for every 1.89L (2 qt) of power steering fluid.
  1. Start the engine.
  1. NOTICE: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump may occur.

With the engine at idle, raise the power steering fluid temperature to 74-80°C (165-176°F) by rotating the steering wheel fully to the left and right several times.
  1. Stop the engine and inspect the system for traces of UV dye using the 100W/12 Volt DC UV Lamp. Repair as necessary.
If you don't have a vacuum pump kit, you can also check for leaking hose or connection that is allowing air to be drawn into the system using a different method. The leak often won't be visible as a fluid leak, because the leak is drawing air in as the system is under pressure, not leaking fluid out. The best way to check the system is to spray the hoses, crimps, and fitting with a spray water bottle. If you hear a zap/crack/snap sound when a component is sprayed, the system is drawing in air at that location.

OP
OP
alex zopp

alex zopp

Reaction score
thank you so much, I think that i don't purged the system in the proper way. i'm sure that there aren't leak in in the system.

thank you so much for the answers, I hope to find the solution

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is comforting me, did you purged the system with vaccum pump? thank you very much
i did not. i left the cap off and ran thr motor for the fluid to cycle through and make sure the pump was in fact working. then afterwards i turned the wheel from side to side slowly to make the system work a little. then i would turn it off and let everything settle and fill with fluid and repeat. i did it about 7 or 8 times until the air was out of my system.

OP
OP
alex zopp

alex zopp

Reaction score
i did not. i left the cap off and ran thr motor for the fluid to cycle through and make sure the pump was in fact working. then afterwards i turned the wheel from side to side slowly to make the system work a little. then i would turn it off and let everything settle and fill with fluid and repeat. i did it about 7 or 8 times until the air was out of my system.
thank you again!