Steering and abs going out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bashing the tech. Whenmy tranny blew He literally bashed my Crazy House Customs &00.00 bracket kit. I still say he is not the brightest light on the Christmas tree. Oh and also left the driveshaft in the bed 1 mile from the ocean rusting the shaft seal area and causing a massive leak and gave it back to me that way with fluid everywhere, never again will I repair other techs reapirs. What do you think 1badassv2?? @1BAD454ASSv2 ?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry for bashing the tech. Whenmy tranny blew He literally bashed my Crazy House Customs &00.00 bracket kit. I still say he is not the brightest light on the Christmas tree. Oh and also left the driveshaft in the bed 1 mile from the ocean rusting the shaft seal area and causing a massive leak and gave it back to me that way with fluid everywhere, never again will I repair other techs reapirs. What do you think 1badassv2?? @1BAD454ASSv2 ?
@1BAD454SSv2

I think they should of told you they were going to have to beat the crap out of those before hand or you would have to pay extra to have them re and re them. You can't expect dealers to do warranty work with aftermarket parts in the way, these techs are paid flat rate.

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI
I pulled my rack and pinion out of the truck yesterday. Did some internet research and found out that many people were finding that a drive belt that powers the system was failing and that you could replace the drive belt and fix the rack ($2400.00 retail price). My belt was fried, I ordered the belt and will have it on Friday if next day air FEDEX comes through. I will report back to inform if this fixes the problem..Stay tuned.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI
I pulled my rack and pinion out of the truck yesterday. Did some internet research and found out that many people were finding that a drive belt that powers the system was failing and that you could replace the drive belt and fix the rack ($2400.00 retail price). My belt was fried, I ordered the belt and will have it on Friday if next day air FEDEX comes through. I will report back to inform if this fixes the problem..Stay tuned.
Well, at least the Gen 2's are serviceable, the Gen 1s weren't. Post some more pics of how the belt goes on, etc. Very interested.

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, at least the Gen 2's are serviceable, the Gen 1s weren't. Post some more pics of how the belt goes on, etc. Very interested.
16348478501583429870437680694759.jpgRack has a cover on the RH side with 6 Allen head bolts (5mm head size). Remove cover. Order a new belt from China and keep your fingers crossed. Should be an easy fix, or spend $2400 for a new rack and pinion (electric assist). I will post up any other requests. Should have belt in hand tomorrow if all of the stars align. Be aware that there are many different size belts and you must get the correct one, which may be difficult as Ford does not sell this belt. Also FYI it as if this part was made to service. This cover is the only part with an O ring seal on it. All other points of entry are white high end silicone, very difficult to split...haha...the unit I pulled out was from a junkyard (rack)16348487394484298658572460092874.jpg

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 325840Rack has a cover on the RH side with 6 Allen head bolts (5mm head size). Remove cover. Order a new belt from China and keep your fingers crossed. Should be an easy fix, or spend $2400 for a new rack and pinion (electric assist). I will post up any other requests. Should have belt in hand tomorrow if all of the stars align. Be aware that there are many different size belts and you must get the correct one, which may be difficult as Ford does not sell this belt. Also FYI it as if this part was made to service. This cover is the only part with an O ring seal on it. All other points of entry are white high end silicone, very difficult to split...hahaView attachment 325845
This just seems wrong, in a nice way; why is this not gear driven. Can you post up some close up pictures of the pulley or groove that the belt rides on. Hope you get the right belt. This will be helpful for those not wanting to spend a years worth of gas on a rack.

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This just seems wrong, in a nice way; why is this not gear driven. Can you post up some close up pictures of the pulley or groove that the belt rides on. Hope you get the right belt. This will be helpful for those not wanting to spend a years worth of gas on a rack.
Yes. When I install it I will take close ups of the pullys and the idler..as FordTechOne posted, beforehand please remove all covers in picture to double check all connections to rack power source, the first time it started to fail, I found a bad connection. 12.56V at battery, 10.84 at box plug. Volt drop at 2nd connection from battery. This is an un fused hot wire.

Last edited:

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the belt and information requested. Pull 6 bolts from rack, remove tie rod end, slip off cv boot, install belt. Reinstall in reverse order of disassembly. Torque to bolt size standard specs. I recommend lubricant on rack (red waterproof grease), blue loc-tite on Allen bolts, red loc-tite on tie rod to rack threads (must use heat to disassemble), antisieze on 2 large steering rack bolts, this has held together on my previous rack bolt removal for bumper installation. Re check after 500 miles all bolts you touched.

Attachments

• 16349258669337132891416385819862.jpg
    16349258669337132891416385819862.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: