Steel-it vs Powdercoating vs Line-X

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubya_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to paint my raw skid plate to match the rest of my SVC baja bumper. Steel-it is certainly the cheapest option, but is it as durable as powdercoating or line-x? What are your thoughts?

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to paint my raw skid plate to match the rest of my SVC baja bumper. Steel-it is certainly the cheapest option, but is it as durable as powdercoating or line-x? What are your thoughts?

Honestly, if you go off-road doesn't matter which you get they will all get scratched. If you don't hit the trails then it depends on what finish you want and price. I did my rear wheel wells with an underspray called ZEP but the consistency is similar to line x. With my experience, sharp enough rock or hit will knock off the line x or the spray at home stuff and powder coat will probably hold up better. That being said if I were to paint mine id do the at home spray and touch up as needed because to go get powder coat again or line x warranty or redo would be more of a pain. Those are my two cents at least. Check out my thread on my wheel well liners if you are curious on how i did that and there are plenty more on DIY sprays.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I painted a bunch of stuff with steel-it including deavers, intercooler brackets, SVC bumpstops. Steel -it is a great product but nothing like linex.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Awesome!. Did you do each leaf individually? How many cans do you think I would need for a front and rear bumper? Did you try brushing/rolling?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome!. Did you do each leaf individually? How many cans do you think I would need for a front and rear bumper? Did you try brushing/rolling?
I took the deavers apart and had them sandblasted and painted them individually. Think I went through 6 cans and then bought a quart and spray gun to finish the job, rattle cans got expensive.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
You didn't try brushing? Reports are it flattens out really well.