Startup Procedure - truth or myth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '17, I'll do this if it sits more than 24 hrs. Pedal to the floor, hit the start button. It will stop cranking automatically after ~8 seconds. Give the starter about 15 seconds to cool a bit (or at least distribute any accumulated heat), do the same, Usually 1-2 seconds into the 2nd cycle the oil pressure gauge will come up. Give it 2 seconds more (1 potato, 2 potato) foot off the pedal and it fires right up. Haven't had any phaser noise on cold starts even on those times when it's been >6 but <24 hours. Priming the phasers if the locking pin has failed to set seems easy insurance. Plus, with the starter robust enough to handle the auto stop-start duty (which I've disabled), this really shouldn't be any more wearing on it. Is it necessary? Perhaps, perhaps not. Does it give me peace of mind? Sure does. Starters are easier to replace than phasers.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty normal for my truck to sit for a week or more and I do the pre start up oil pressure build up. I wouldn’t mind hearing someone’s thoughts on why the cam phaser rattle goes away/ masks the problem if you do a pre start.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s pretty normal for my truck to sit for a week or more and I do the pre start up oil pressure build up. I wouldn’t mind hearing someone’s thoughts on why the cam phaser rattle goes away/ masks the problem if you do a pre start.

When the oil system is primed the cam phasers receive oil pressure. If a locking pin issue exists, the oil in the phaser cavities will prevent it from oscillating (noise) upon initial engine start.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do this to all my engines if they’ve been sitting for awhile, especially the ones in storage. Nothing wrong with alleviating dry starts.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LC's BBQ is so much better than Pappy's Smokehouse :D
Yeah, even within the KC area there is so much BBQ debate. I like them all! Everyone’s big on Q39 or KC Joe’s these days, but LC, Bryant’s and Gates hang in there. My last trip to Gates on 40 by Arrowhead was a complete sh##show, horrible service. Shame, Gates BBQ is still spicy good!

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure about the ecoboost motors specifically but how much good turning it over like that does really depends on the pump/engine setup. I have seen in the initial start up instructions from multiple mod motor builders (including my own) that doing as described does NOT create sufficient oil pressure to properly lubricate the top end. It needs to be done with a priming system (mine was a very fancy setup from lowes for about $17). Outside of that just start it.