Startup Procedure - truth or myth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These engines are no different than any other; they’re designed to be started without needing to prime the oil system. Priming is only necessary after engine disassembly or a rebuild. Using a quality oil filter with an anti-drainback valve (Motorcraft or equivalent) allows the oil system to build pressure almost immediately.

If you're using clear flood mode to avoid a noise on startup , you're only covering up an already existing issue. That can range from a collapsed lifter to a faulty cam phaser to something as simple as a sticking anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the engine isn't turning, the oil pump that's crank shaft driven, isn't pumping!!!
You don't have a Dry Pump system in the Raptor but the GT 3.5L does!!!
So maybe that might be what the chatter you saw on the "What's on the interweb must be true".

This is in the GT 2006 manual:
11. NOTE: The engine lubrication system can be primed by cycling the starter motor with the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle position (engine will not start). Cycle the starter motor for 20 seconds with the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle position.

say what ya want- on my 2018 raptor w/ 30k+ mikes when cam phasers started rattling pretty much every “first” or “cold” start guess what? Holding the gas to the floor while cranking for a few seconds alleviated it- each and EVERY time

don’t know what to tell ya

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The very first race team I ever worked for took this a little further. Every morning before start up we had to pull the spark plugs first(idea being taking the pressure off of everything) then turn them over to build oil pressure. Eventually, a spark plug blew out of a cylinder during a race and that was changed. I will say that those engines would go seasons before a rebuild. Dry sump Buick V-6.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
say what ya want- on my 2018 raptor w/ 30k+ mikes when cam phasers started rattling pretty much every “first” or “cold” start guess what? Holding the gas to the floor while cranking for a few seconds alleviated it- each and EVERY time

I can tell you, Your truck is 8 years newer.
Not sure what year Ford started that safety feature in Raptors.

KeithV

Reaction score

But like what Fordtechone said, you're just quieting down a problem that's there, not fixing it.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reason I and others responded to the OP is because he was missing the key ingredient.

Step: 2 1/2. Allow Starter to cycle!!!

That's way I posted the note for the GT in my #8 post.
The way he posted it implied that some how oil pressure is magically forced up to the heads.

Now, not knowing much about a dry sump system,
I was surprised to learn that the 2006 GT's dry sump system runs off a fan belt from the engine.
I always thought it was electric pumps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I and others responded to the OP is because he was missing the key ingredient.

The way he posted it implied that some how oil pressure is magically forced up to the heads.

Now, not know much about a dry pump system I was surprised to learn that the 2006 GT's dry pump system runs off a fan belt from the engine. I always thought it was electric pumps.
Yep, this is correct - I was asking if it was possible to force oil to the top of the engine components without cranking - in other words a pre-start type pump. Other threads or forums alluded to this as well as some of the post on this thread (maybe).
Smarter, wiser posters have convinced me this is not possible.
I remote start often - particularly in the winter. I was going to stop doing this if “priming” was an option. it’s not. Case closed!

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now, not knowing much about a dry pump system,
I was surprised to learn that the 2006 GT's dry pump system runs off a fan belt from the engine.
I always thought it was electric pumps.

I suppose I misunderstood the op as well. You must crank the engine to drive the oil pump.

Anywho, to @MTF here, it’s called “Dry Sump” not dry pump. It’s a misnomer really, but the oil is not stored in the oil pan or “sump”, rather it’s pumped to/from an external reservoir. Some setups have 3 or more pumps, usually driven by belt from the crank pulley.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I suppose I misunderstood the op as well. You must crank the engine to drive the oil pump.

Anywho, to @MTF here, it’s called “Dry Sump” not dry pump. It’s a misnomer really, but the oil is not stored in the oil pan or “sump”, rather it’s pumped to/from an external reservoir. Some setups have 3 or more pumps, usually driven by belt from the crank pulley.
Thanks for the correction, I knew it was sump but I had a brain fart with the word when typing it out.
I just turned 60 this month, I'll chalk it up to getting old, LOL