Startup Procedure - truth or myth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Searched the forum but didn't find anything but references about this. I have read in a couple threads that when starting a Gen2:
  1. pushing the gas pedal to the floor & holding it
  2. pressing the start button for 5-10 seconds
  3. steps above force oil to the top of the engine
First, I am curious if this IS true - where can I find some details on what is actually happening? Second, this seems like a really good thing to do, why didn't Ford simply design this into the overall startup of the truck? It doesn't seem like a few seconds to potentially extend the life of the engine is a bad thing. I am pretty sure most of us don't jump in like Starsky and Hutch and roar out of the driveway.

Appreciate any info that can help me understand this more.

complete myth false as ****

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Searched the forum but didn't find anything but references about this. I have read in a couple threads that when starting a Gen2:
First, I am curious if this IS true - where can I find some details on what is actually happening? Second, this seems like a really good thing to do, why didn't Ford simply design this into the overall startup of the truck? It doesn't seem like a few seconds to potentially extend the life of the engine is a bad thing. I am pretty sure most of us don't jump in like Starsky and Hutch and roar out of the driveway.

Yes, the procedure is true. It applies to all vehicles that I’m aware of. It isn’t really for oil circulation, rather to clear a flooded (with fuel) engine so it will run. Holding the throttle open while cranking the engine over allows much more air than fuel into it, so it will clear the excess fuel.

The procedure will also allow the oil pump to circulate oil without starting the engine. It is used by some race teams to ensure the engine isn’t started before the oil is throughout. I use it when starting a new engine or one that has sat unused for a seriously long time like years.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the procedure is true. It applies to all vehicles that I’m aware of. It isn’t really for oil circulation, rather to clear a flooded (with fuel) engine so it will run. Holding the throttle open while cranking the engine over allows much more air than fuel into it, so it will clear the excess fuel.

The procedure will also allow the oil pump to circulate oil without starting the engine. It is used by some race teams to ensure the engine isn’t started before the oil is throughout. I use it when starting a new engine or one that has sat unused for a seriously long time like years.
For older non ECU and PCM engines, yes you jam a screw driver in the choke and push the throttle open to clear a flooded engine, but these newer ones with injectors that doesn't apply.

I don't know about the PCM opening up the throttle on a cold start, need to research that a little when I have time.
My 2010 1/2 6.2L will start with the pedal all the way depressed and it starts the same way if I don't press on the pedal, for the first few seconds then it will raise the rpm. to the rev limiter (3,500 rpm in park and neutral)
So there's that.

Last edited:

metalwhiz

Reaction score
All I know is I do this for every cold start on my 2018 Raptor that has cam phaser issue, and no more rattle on startup. Eventually, I'll get it taken care of. Not crazy about my truck with 15k miles being torn apart.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is I do this for every cold start on my 2018 Raptor that has cam phaser issue, and no more rattle on startup. Eventually, I'll get it taken care of. Not crazy about my truck with 15k miles being torn apart.
I have to agree on the procedure helping, it's delivering oil without the combustion pressures that are added through a regular start. Every race motor I have ever had in my boats had a pre oiling system and they are still available. It`s not like a fresh built motor that has to be primed with a drill turning the distributor gear. If you look at certain Ford diesels there is actually a block off plate on the drivers side of the block to pre prime the engine, here's the link to that. How many put oil in their new filter before installing it on the engine, not just for the O-ring but because the filter is dry and takes a little bit to fill up, that's why the filters have a backflow spring in them to help keep the system loaded with oil.

It man not do a thing for your truck, it`s not going to hurt it either. I just know from being around some engine builders and a $250 oil priming system is cheap insurance on a motor that cost over $30k
I do it to my 18 after it sits overnight or sitting for a while, not every time I start the truck. It would be interesting to hear what Ford Tech One has to say about it.

Just like every engine builder has their own tricks when they build a motor and some do things that other builders say is a waste of time and vice-versa. Somethings that are done are just cheap insurance, maybe it will last longer or run better but in most cases it won`t hurt the motor

Look at the ignition or dash panel on a lot of race cars,boats etc. They will have a start button along with a ignition switch and they will crank their engines over for a few seconds before flipping the ignition switch on allowing it to fire it up. My last Mercruiser marine engine has a timer built into oil primer system that was wired into the ignition switch. It would turn on the pre-oiler for 20-30 seconds before I was able to fire up the motor, it also had a wire going to the engine block temp sensor so if it was above 160 degrees it would fire right up.

I guess to each his own, but if I had a vehicle (My 2018 Raptor) that was prone to certain issues and I didnt want someone to pull the motor apart I'd try to make it last as long as possible

Last edited:

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score

@FordTechOne - any thought?