Startup Procedure - truth or myth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Searched the forum but didn't find anything but references about this. I have read in a couple threads that when starting a Gen2:
  1. pushing the gas pedal to the floor & holding it
  2. pressing the start button for 5-10 seconds
  3. steps above force oil to the top of the engine
First, I am curious if this IS true - where can I find some details on what is actually happening? Second, this seems like a really good thing to do, why didn't Ford simply design this into the overall startup of the truck? It doesn't seem like a few seconds to potentially extend the life of the engine is a bad thing. I am pretty sure most of us don't jump in like Starsky and Hutch and roar out of the driveway.

Appreciate any info that can help me understand this more.

gopher870

Reaction score
Hmmmm, interesting. First I've heard of this. Interesting what others will have to say on this...I imagine it will be a subject much like break-in procedures or which oil to use.

I simply hit the start button, drive away normally until I'm up to operating temp. Then its off to the races!! :)

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Searched the forum but didn't find anything but references about this. I have read in a couple threads that when starting a Gen2:
First, I am curious if this IS true - where can I find some details on what is actually happening? Second, this seems like a really good thing to do, why didn't Ford simply design this into the overall startup of the truck? It doesn't seem like a few seconds to potentially extend the life of the engine is a bad thing. I am pretty sure most of us don't jump in like Starsky and Hutch and roar out of the driveway.

Doesn't everybody drive like this:

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id be interested to know where you heard this?
@Sozzy12 I remember seeing it on one or two of the hundreds of post on cam phasers - as I recall some folks did it religiously and their were a few complaints that it couldn't be done remote starting. I did a quick search but didn't find them, but I know they are out there.

To be honest I was skeptical (thus the original post). I could see it if the engine was turning over, driving the oil pump but that kind of defeats the purpose.

I have tried it several times, I briefly hear a something that could be a pump but then everything electronic starts moving in the cockpit (steering wheel, seats) and drowns out the sound.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the engine isn't turning, the oil pump that's crank shaft driven, isn't pumping!!!
You don't have a Dry Sump system in the Raptor but the GT 3.5L does!!!
So maybe that might be what the chatter you saw on the "What's on the interweb must be true".

This is in the GT 2006 manual:
11. NOTE: The engine lubrication system can be primed by cycling the starter motor with the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle position (engine will not start). Cycle the starter motor for 20 seconds with the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle position.

Last edited:

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have seen this nonsense too. It’s sprinkled throughout the phaser threads. If it’s not in the manual then don’t bother.

If Ford thought priming the oil pump was necessary every time you start the truck it would be in the manual and also would have a big honkin yellow sticker on the dash.