Starter at 2x speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrSkunks

Reaction score
So I’ve had my 2014 now for about 7 months or so and everything has been great.

For the longest time, the starter will sometimes make a weird noise, usually if it has just been turned off and then turned back on within like 5-10 minutes.

9/10 times it will be normal and then there’s this one start up that sounds like the starter got the engine started in half the time it usually takes. Sounds like the engine starting but played at 2x speed. No grinding noise or anything else weird.

Any idea what this could be? Starter going bad?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand the cause of the problem you are experiencing, but I have a concern about the possibility of damage to your ring gear. If the starter is spinning too fast it can damage the ring gear and possibly tear teeth off the ring gear. Replacing the starter seems wise because that's way less expensive than replacing both the starter and the ring gear.

BTW, it is simple and cheap to have your starter tested. Most auto parts shops will do it for free.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
I don't understand the cause of the problem you are experiencing, but I have a concern about the possibility of damage to your ring gear. If the starter is spinning too fast it can damage the ring gear and possibly tear teeth off the ring gear. Replacing the starter seems wise because that's way less expensive than replacing both the starter and the ring gear.

BTW, it is simple and cheap to have your starter tested. Most auto parts shops will do it for free.

Yea not sure what causes it either. It only happens with when the car is warmed up and started within about 10 minutes. Even with that scenario, it doesn't happen every time. I would have to try to video every time I start the truck to hopefully capture it.

How do they test the starter? Also isn't it in their best interest that the starter would test "bad" so they could sell you the replacement.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea not sure what causes it either. It only happens with when the car is warmed up and started within about 10 minutes. Even with that scenario, it doesn't happen every time. I would have to try to video every time I start the truck to hopefully capture it.

How do they test the starter? Also isn't it in their best interest that the starter would test "bad" so they could sell you the replacement.

They (NAPA, Zone, Advance, O'Reilly's...) all have a machine that measures the current draw as you engage the starter. Same machine can be set to also test the battery and alternator.

Ah, isn't in your doctor's best interest to tell you you're sick and need to be in his care? Isn't it in your dentist's best interest to tell you that you need a root canal and a crown? You have to use your judgment and figure out who to trust. In this case, it's easier - you KNOW something is haywire with your starter.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The parts jockeys aren't generally paid on commision and could probably care less if you buy anything. Some of them may even prefer you don't have to spend your money on things you don't need... On top of that they aren't rocket surgeons, they just look at what the machine spits out and report that.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't see how a starter could possibly turn too fast. You'd have to up the voltage to get it to turn any faster.

I've had a starter get hung up on the ring gear after the engine started, and the running engine was then turning the starter and causing it to make all kinds of racket, but nothing like what you described.

Probably best just to change it out if it's an issue that often.

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
I’ll try and get a video next time it happens to make sure it’s starter and not something else.

It’s like if the usual crank is 2 seconds, when then engine is warm, sometimes it will start in 1 second and sounds sped up. No grinding or anything.

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
Also assuming it needs to be changed, just go with an OEM one or is there a specific one people are recommending?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get an OEM Ford starter if you can still get a new one. Otherwise it's going to be remans. You could get your starter repaired/rebuilt as well.

OP
OP
MrSkunks

MrSkunks

Reaction score
So my fuse 27 just went out and replaced it with a new fuse until my kit arrives.

I wonder if this caused the issue as now that I have a new fuse, the starter has not acted up.