Started truck, shows it is in reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
So, here's a new problem. Went to start the truck with the FordPass app, tried twice and both times it beeped with a message saying "failed to start." Went out, hopped in, the brake pedal is stiff and I'm only able to get accessory power. However, I noticed the gear selector shows the truck is in "reverse." When I try to shift out of reverse, the message pops up that the transmission is not in park, therefore I can't do a thing. Anyone have any ideas? I just had the front pinion seal replaced a few weeks ago, though I'm thinking it's probably not related.

Attachments

• IMG_20221106_114303_3.jpg
    IMG_20221106_114303_3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 15

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does the shifter move into its normal place? prndm. if it does, its problably the shifter cable going to the transmission. i would check to see if its fully attached and in the correct orientation. also, you can pull the center console up and access the cable from there if you need to.

OP
OP
KingKoopa17

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
does the shifter move into its normal place? prndm. if it does, its problably the shifter cable going to the transmission. i would check to see if its fully attached and in the correct orientation. also, you can pull the center console up and access the cable from there if you need to.
No, I'm unable to move the shifter at all. Currently it is in the "park" position, but shows it being in reverse. I just started the truck and found it to be in "reverse." I know where to access it from the center console, is there somewhere beneath the truck I can look as well?

Sucks, the last time I drove it was when I got it back from the dealership after they fixed that pinion seal leak a few weeks ago, lol.

OP
OP
KingKoopa17

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
yeah. it should be connected. how the hell did it come off?
Dunno. Would they need to remove it to replace the front pinion seal beneath the driver's side? It's the only thing I can think of. Like I said, I haven't driven the truck since I brought it back home from the dealer a few weeks ago so I'm really leaning towards them forgetting that bushing when (assuming) they re-attached it. I'm gonna give them a call in the morning tomorrow, really hoping I can convince them to give me what I need so I can fix it myself, rather than wait 4-5 hours for a tow and then perhaps a day or two to fix the damn thing. Watched a FordTech video on it and it looks pretty simple.