GEN 2 Start up rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer diagnosis on my 18 Raptor: the loud noise it the timing belt tensioner. Not quite open heart surgery, but close was his words. Parts are back ordered until at least 9/4. Safe to continue driving unless it gets worse. They have fixed this on numerous 18 F150s and Navigators with the 3.5L Eco engine. 1-2 weeks repair time, and they will give me a loaner. Estimated repair cost is $4000 but it's all under warranty. Glad I never tuned it, would be easy to deny my claim.

Sorry to hear that. This is at least the third truck I know of that's developed this problem. Do they know what's causing it, and do they have any permanent fix? I heard tell of a new part that was supposed to land in late July

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. This is at least the third truck I know of that's developed this problem. Do they know what's causing it, and do they have any permanent fix? I heard tell of a new part that was supposed to land in late July

My dealer said it's a certain batch of early 18s that have a bad tensioner. He couldn't be more specific. He also mentioned a new part # came out in July. That's probably the one that is out of stock now.

cwylie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone who has had this work completed can you provide the part numbers that ford replaced?

RickB

Reaction score
My dealer said it's a certain batch of early 18s that have a bad tensioner. He couldn't be more specific. He also mentioned a new part # came out in July. That's probably the one that is out of stock now.
Thanks for the info. I have 12k miles on my 2018 (early Raptor purchased in Sept 2017)...I have been getting the same noise. The longer it sits (ie over a weekend) the more pronounced the noise becomes. Did your do it everytime you started it or just "cold start" such as overnight? Did the dealer have to let is sit for a day or two before they heard the noise?

Thank you!

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has a rattle noise as well on startup and then goes away after a couple seconds. I just bought the truck two weeks ago, put about 500 miles on it. I'm dropping it off this Sunday for them to look at it Monday morning. I'm a bit worried since I bought the truck with a 100k mi CPO warranty, with 7200 miles on it and found a OBDII data cable connected to the port just yesterday - assuming it had been tuned. I really hope Ford doesn't screw me on the warranty or bring up the tune, since I had no idea obviously. The truck didn't rattle or seem off at all when I was looking over it, but with my luck, presented itself the day after. I haven't been able to find any info on if I have any recourse if Ford decides to deny any warranty work because of a 'probable' tune before I owned it. I mentioned this to the purchasing dealer that I had found the data cable and they pretty much told me it shouldn't be a problem. So we'll see! For reference, truck was purchased out in PA from a different dealer and I'm dropping it off to a local NJ dealer near me.

Turk10mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was fixed and was not the tensioner but instead the cam phaser. My left phaser was replaced. 2018 at 11k miles. I was out my truck 3 weeks but Ford put me in a rental Lariat so it wasn't all bad.

phaser1.jpg phaser2.jpg

Hdscreens

Reaction score
Do you have a purchased extended warranty and that’s why Ford allowed a loaner? If you do have extended warranty protection do you have a deductible and do they charge deductible amount when you get a loaner vehicle even though it’s within the 3 years/36k warranty period.

I had truck in for transfer case service for 3 weeks without a loaner as I don’t have ESP so had to pay rental out of my own pocket. Rattling issue popped up after I got it and now driver door won’t lock so it seems this truck will be in and out of service. I’m thinking about getting extended service protection so I get loaner vehicles when it goes but it would suck to still pay deductible just for getting loaner even though it’s still has standard bumper to bumper warranty.

Mine was fixed and was not the tensioner but instead the cam phaser. My left phaser was replaced. 2018 at 11k miles. I was out my truck 3 weeks but Ford put me in a rental Lariat so it wasn't all bad.

View attachment 113539 View attachment 113540

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have 12k miles on my 2018 (early Raptor purchased in Sept 2017)...I have been getting the same noise. The longer it sits (ie over a weekend) the more pronounced the noise becomes. Did your do it everytime you started it or just "cold start" such as overnight? Did the dealer have to let is sit for a day or two before they heard the noise?

Thank you!

Mine is only when starting cold, everytime. I took a video of it to the dealer, that way I didn't have to drop it off for the engine to cool down.

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Parts were supposed to be here Sept 4th. Called dealer on Monday and they said back ordered until Sept 27th now. I asked for a long term loaner and they said they would need to open a case with Ford to get it approved. 3 days later, still no response. I hate driving it like this.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A few things from a conversation with a friend that has been dealing with this:

Got the truck back from the dealer last night with new leaf springs, new catalytic converter, and new passenger side cam phaser and cam.

Unfortunately, the engine still makes the dreaded knocking/ rattle on. Turns out the driver's side cam needs replacing as well. If you're having any cam phaser issues then get to the dealer because Ford just released the revised parts. Supposedly this is the cure-all for the cam phaser issue that's existed in EcoBoost engines since 2013.

When I asked about what problems other than noise could/did arise:

There were many moments of a decrease in power and a few times the truck wouldn’t start. I spoke to a few techs about it and there seems to be a 50/50 split. Some say it’s just noise and not an issue. Others say it’s a major issue. The tech who replaced mine said the last one he worked on had completely broken the cam gear off.

From what I've seen of the 8 or so cases thus far, the noise may or may not be fixed by the repair, and seems to be a split on whether or not it causes major issues or not. As the techs noted, half the time it is just noise, half the time it causes other problems.

I'd also note that the 10 speed makes a lot of noise for the first few seconds during startup, and that seems to be normal. So a rattling that is similar to bad phasers/timing chain IS normal for our trucks (being the 10 speed) but the actual noise (which is close, but louder and shorter in duration) is NOT normal. Makes it hard to tell, especially since both noises seem to be irregular when they occur.

Personally, I'm loathe for my engine to be torn into for just a noise. But it would also suck to have the chain go kaput outside of warranty.