GEN 2 Start up rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For the past few days, my 2018 is making a rattle noise on startup. The noise goes away within a few seconds once the truck is running. Sometimes it's harder to start than other times.

Today it was really bad. I backed it out of my garage and put it in gear. It must have died at least 8 times before it would stay running.

I'm taking it to my dealer at 8 am tomorrow.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

JLP83

Reaction score
I'm guessing either timing chain, plugs, bad fuel? Should be easy for a mechanic to diagnose.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has always rattled on startup for a few seconds and then stopped. I thought it was the Wastegate someone said. Never had trouble starting or cutoff though.
For the past few days, my 2018 is making a rattle noise on startup. The noise goes away within a few seconds once the truck is running. Sometimes it's harder to start than other times.

Today it was really bad. I backed it out of my garage and put it in gear. It must have died at least 8 times before it would stay running.

I'm taking it to my dealer at 8 am tomorrow.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has always rattled on startup for a few seconds and then stopped. I thought it was the Wastegate someone said. Never had trouble starting or cutoff though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Likewise, but come to think of it, my rattle seems to have stopped in recent weeks.

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This rattle sounds awful, like some loose metal. And it only happens on cold start ups. I've had the truck for 15,000 miles now and it just started within the past 2 weeks.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always remote start mine, few months shy of two years...no rattle when I walk up to it...Work Around!!!

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the noise coming from? Top of the motor? I had a noise obviously coming from the wheel wells that wasn't wastegate rattle. It lasted for 10 sec or so.

I threw in the SP 542 plugs because I had them. The noise went away immediately. Might have been spark plug detonation.

Form all the videos I looked at, the noise from the top of the motor that lasts only a sec or two typically is the cam phasers or timing chain slap or both.

OP
OP
DrippinRaptor

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer diagnosis on my 18 Raptor: the loud noise it the timing belt tensioner. Not quite open heart surgery, but close was his words. Parts are back ordered until at least 9/4. Safe to continue driving unless it gets worse. They have fixed this on numerous 18 F150s and Navigators with the 3.5L Eco engine. 1-2 weeks repair time, and they will give me a loaner. Estimated repair cost is $4000 but it's all under warranty. Glad I never tuned it, would be easy to deny my claim.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad I never tuned it, would be easy to deny my claim.

This is why I always say denying a claim based on a tune is a gray area. If they have fixed this issue on "numerous" F150s and Navigators without a tune, what would make them deny your claim with a tune? Would they say your tune caused the known problem to happen faster on your truck? Would they say it would not have happened if you never tuned it? (You just proved that one wrong...)

I know it is hard to argue with them when they deny a claim, but I would move on to the next dealer in my area to see if they would fix it. It has never happened to me, so I am not even sure if going to another dealer works in this day of computer databases at dealers...