Start Stop insanity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually like the start/stop feature, and while I can't speak for Ford's engineers, it's certainly not unheard of that this function can increase engine wear. It's long been blamed for the huge number of failures of BMW's N20 2.0T engine--specifically that the plastic timing chain guides get brittle, and extensive use of the start/stop system stretches the timing chain and eventually the whole thing implodes.

My daughter's X3 suffered this failure after heavy start/stop usage in Chicago rush hour traffic. The service advisor wouldn't admit any fault, but they quickly agreed to warranty it and I couldn't help but notice that my relatively small town BMW dealer actually keeps these engines in stock, which told me everything I needed to know.

Moridin

Reaction score
Also, sort of related, you can buy a seat belt extender (short) and eliminate the blasted seat belt chime by leaving it inserted into the seat belt slot.

Why not just turn off the seat belt chime via the procedure in the manual?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, sort of related, you can buy a seat belt extender (short) and eliminate the blasted seat belt chime by leaving it inserted into the seat belt slot.

There's an incantation to turn the seatbelt nanny off. It's in the manual. You have to run it separately for both seats.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There's an incantation to turn the seatbelt nanny off. It's in the manual. You have to run it separately for both seats.
You can also suppress it in FORSCAN.
FWIW - I did the seat belt chime off procedure in the manual and it returned. I wonder if this survives a battery disconnect?

FORSCAN shut it off permanently. I also got rid of the do-do-do door chimes.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rumor has it there's a way to turn it off written in the manual.

When my BIL rode in my truck he was all "Why isn't the seatbelt chime going off?" I had to laugh. He's had his Super Duty long enough that it's out of warranty. When I left him at the end of our last trip, he was reading his manual. Too funny.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, I like the remote start from the fob. I disabled those beeps literally in a few mins. With Forscan. Not a big deal.

Most old timers like a keyed ignition, just so they have a place to hang there keys LOL

I’m 35 - hardly an old timer I’d say, personally at least - and I like my keys. I also have a Gen1 with a real engine though ;)

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m 35 - hardly an old timer I’d say, personally at least - and I like my keys. I also have a Gen1 with a real engine though ;)

Lol. I’m not one to really comment on that but I did. My 10 second speed bucket uses a single carb and solid bump stick. So I like some old school too. Now that’s a real engine lmao

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Damage to engine? Engines equipped with auto start stop features have upgraded starters to handle repeated uses. Vehicles equipped with auto start stop feature use the starter statistically 12 times more. Battery and alternator are upgraded for handle the extra power consumption from repeated engine starts. Bearing in crankcase on crank and rods are upgraded to a highly scratch resistive material to handle the extra abuse. An engine that isnt constantly running cannot pump oil to bearings when the engine is stopped hence the upgrade to the high scratch resistive material. Even if you permanently disable this feature. It's a good idea to purchase vehicles with this feature available as the engine upgrades are always a welcome in terms of durability.

2020 Raptor with 6,000 miles. Starter had to be replaced. I’d prefer to have the auto start/stop feature just go away.
E93E5614-BA75-4D1F-8E02-A23F35B09E1D.jpeg

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2020 Raptor with 6,000 miles. Starter had to be replaced. I’d prefer to have the auto start/stop feature just go away.
View attachment 157817

Probably won’t. Helps manufacturers make mileage, etc. 6,000 miles? You must have had a defective starter obviously. But I always said it’s yet another way for manufacturers to make more money later on replacing them.