Start Stop insanity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me the negligible gain in mpg isn't worth the damage it does to the engine.
Damage to engine? Engines equipped with auto start stop features have upgraded starters to handle repeated uses. Vehicles equipped with auto start stop feature use the starter statistically 12 times more. Battery and alternator are upgraded for handle the extra power consumption from repeated engine starts. Bearing in crankcase on crank and rods are upgraded to a highly scratch resistive material to handle the extra abuse. An engine that isnt constantly running cannot pump oil to bearings when the engine is stopped hence the upgrade to the high scratch resistive material. Even if you permanently disable this feature. It's a good idea to purchase vehicles with this feature available as the engine upgrades are always a welcome in terms of durability.

D

Deleted member 12951

I was seriously considering the AutoStop eliminator but did the super simple unplug under the dash. I like the unplug idea better because it leaves the button light off.

Double honk, take it you mean when you leave it running and step out with the keys? Personally I like that feature because it confirms that the doors automatically locked. Not a bother.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK...but what about bothering the neighbors late at night or early in the AM. Not for me...

That's what I hate about it, I stop to hop out for my mailbox and I have to make sure I leave the door wide open so it doesn't honk. Any number of instances where I hop out for 30 seconds for something and I really don't need to be honked at when I'm right next to the fender.

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's what I hate about it, I stop to hop out for my mailbox and I have to make sure I leave the doo wide open so it doesn't honk. Any number of instances where I hop out for 30 seconds for something and I really don't need to be honked at when I'm right next to the fender.

You guys are paying the price for keyless entry. That's an option I actively did not want and one reason I bought an 801A. My wife's car has it and last week we went to the shopping center. I drop her off at the grocery and head toward the other end of the center for cat litter. The damn car starts beeping at me and warning me that I had no key fob. Shit. It's in my wife's purse and if I park the damn thing a quarter mile away I won't be able to start it. Given a choice between me walking a quarter mile with 40lb bag of cat litter and my wife walking that far with a bag of potato chips, it was an easy decision. I parked right outside the door of the grocery and walked. What a PITA

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Eh, I like the remote start from the fob. I disabled those beeps literally in a few mins. With Forscan. Not a big deal.

Most old timers like a keyed ignition, just so they have a place to hang there keys LOL

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, sort of related, you can buy a seat belt extender (short) and eliminate the blasted seat belt chime by leaving it inserted into the seat belt slot.