Stainless Works Lightning Exit Sound Test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the other SW thread I posted information and installation images of the Lightning style exit exhaust system.

This thread includes sound tests (very unscientific) of the original Raptor system and the SW Lightning exit style system.

The system I installed is a true dual exhaust setup. The original 2 to 1 "Y" pipe area was removed, with individual pipes installed to mate to SW's Lightning style exit that they supply for connection to their long tube headers. I also installed their 18" long "X" pipe that would be typical of their header/dual exhaust setup.

Results of the sounds tests (db's):
----------------Before---After
Idle----------- 60-------71
2500 RPM-----74-------84
3500 RPM-----81-------86

65 MPH-------73--------75
70 MPH-------74--------78
80 MPH-------76--------80

Accel to 80---88--------86

Comments: With the original system, most of the interior sound was tire noise (original 4 year old BFG's w/ 50% tread). With the SW system installed, the interior noise is definitely from the exhaust. In the video, although it sounds reasonable, in real life it is too loud for me. The resonance is terrible. An SW representative indicated the Turbo Chambered 18" mufflers (overall length) are their quietest. As a result, I will be experimenting with other mufflers in an effort to make it quieter. There is not much room to work with, with the forward side exit system. I may have to remove the 18" "X" pipe and fabricate a shorter "X" pipe or "H" pipe that is 12" in length in order to have room for longer mufflers. Another restriction is the SW system pipes are on a 4.125" centerline, so only mufflers with a width of 4" will work. That narrows the muffler options significantly.

Check out the video for db sound tests of both systems. More to follow.

https://youtu.be/osWDn5hVH7s

Last edited:

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this. Gosh by the numbers that is a huge increase in sound, and the video you posted confirms those numbers. To loud for my liking.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Too loud for me too. I had a Lightning style exit true dual system (an actual factory Lightning package) on my 2001 F-150 XLT standard cab, and it was just right in level of sound. But since it was factory it had a longer single, dual in-dual out muffler. Smaller engine (5.4) and smaller pipes of course.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. In my effort to get the SW system quieter, I am going to install a pair of longer mufflers.

I have chosen a pair of Magnaflow #11249 which are 18" (24" overall) x 4" x 9" to replace the SW 14" (18" overall) x 4" x 8". The Magnaflow's are center in/center out, so clearance won't be an issue.

IMG_7849.1.jpg

These mufflers are 3" ID in/out and are that size all the way thru. Very nice.

IMG_7850.1.jpg

In order to install the longer mufflers, I will have to remove the existing SW 18" X-pipe

IMG_7813.1.jpg

and install a 6" shorter 12" X-pipe that I got from Summit Racing. Got this SS unit in lieu of building an X-pipe out of (4) 45 degree bends (a lot of work).

IMG_7844.1.jpg

IMG_7846.1.jpg

All that is fine, except that the 12" X-pipe is not the correct pipe/pipe in-line width to match up with the rest of the existing exhaust system. Nothing is ever simple. The image of the X-pipe on the Summit site showed it was too wide. So, a simple task of cutting it down the center and taking out material and welding it up to the proper width would be done. In receiving the X-pipe, it is actually too narrow...by 3/16". Figures. Too narrow of a gap to section it, too wide to fill weld it. As a result, I'll have to cut the pipe, bend up a ******** each side, and weld it on.

But, I'm not done yet. Both ends of the 12" X-pipe are 3" ID. One end needs to be 3" OD to fit in the 3" ID Magnaflow mufflers. So, that change will have to be made. Cut off both pipes on one end of the X-pipe and weld on 2" of 3" OD pipe. Will do.

But, I'm not done yet. Both ends of the Magnaflow mufflers are 3" ID. The downstream end needs to be 3" OD to slip in the existing SW tail pipes. As a result, I'll cut off the 3" ID ends and weld on 3" OD ends.

All very doable. But, all is delayed as a result of having fallen on black ice on concrete last week and dislocating my right shoulder. Advise: do not fall on concrete. It is very painful. More to follow...when I heal up.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Gen 2 sounds way better.

your db readings don’t look that high initially, especially in cabin, but, no matter how old or young you are, that increase in ambient cabin noise will fatigue you faster than before and sometimes way more. If you’re getting ‘cruise drone’ you’ll develop headaches over a shorter period of time.

I drove my Mustang GT with flowmasters for months, then took it on a trip with the wife, who was not a fan. Then I started liking it less and less. I think put on a dynomax? - it was every bit as loud, but the tone and resonance range were much different and a little less fatiguing.

I hope you get better soon.

A question - what about throwing some dynamat at the truck interior, in addition to some different mufflers? I’m not sure how much it would quiet the interior, it’s already a pretty refined vehicle for a truck but it may be worth considering if you are growing weary of exhaust work.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

It was surprising how much louder it got even though the readings didn't change numerically that much. I've listened to umpteen you tube Raptor muffler sound videos, but they are all really worthless without db numbers with them. Cameras do not pick up the sound as much as the human ear does.

I've considered Dynamat. It may come to that. I just don't want to have to take everything out of the cab to do it. In the event the Magnaflow's do not quiet it down much, and I don't think they will with their straight thru design, I have plan B which is another brand of mufflers that the manufacturer claims to be their very quietest. I may end up with a gross of hardly used mufflers in my shop before I'm done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. I've made a little progress on this project while my shoulder heals from the dislocation a week and a half ago.

Cut 3" ID ends off of the mufflers and welded 3" OD stainless ends on so they will slip inside the SW 3" ID tailpipes. Also sliced the 3" ID ends on the other end of the mufflers so that clamps will tighten the ends down snug over the modified 12" X-pipe.

IMG_7882.1.jpg

Cut the 3" ID ends off of one end of the 12" X-pipe and welded on 3" OD stainless ends so they will slip inside of the 3" ID ends of the mufflers. Fabricated some stainless straps for each side of the 12" X-pipe, then sliced the X-pipe down the middle so that it can be widened the 3/16" to mate to the existing SW system on the truck. Still need to slice the 3" ID ends on the X-pipe so the clamps will get them tight over the existing head pipes on the truck.

IMG_7886.1.jpg

I'll use the SW 18" X-pipe I'm removing, as well as the SW tailpipes as jigs to set the proper width of the 12" X-pipe, then weld on the stainless straps on each side. It's going to be a very tight fit during assembly as the Magnaflow mufflers are 4.0625" in width. That leaves no gap between the mufflers since the SW exhaust system has a pipe center line of 4.125". Sure hope I welded those muffler ends on in the right place. LOL

Last edited:

Rodbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds quiet compared to mine. I tested mine at 50 feet way at was at 82 at idle. 95 at 3500 rpm. 108 when I a floored it.