Stainless Works Header Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dolfanatic1399

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ordering SW headers needs to check their bolts that comes with them. They sent me 10Mx1.5 and my truck takes the 10Mx1.25 fine thread pitch.
You would think if you purchased a $2400 set if headers and catback, that you could get the correct bolts overnighted. No gaurantee from SW however. Even though it was their mistake. They told me and I quote "we accidently put the wrong bolts in several orders, we have corrected the the problem now". A lot of good that does me now. Hopefully I will have them today so I can start installing the headers, uhg!!!
Im sure I will forget all about this ordeal once I have them installed and am enjoying benifits. Just dont want anyone else to end up in this situation.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

vipergts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wrong bolts too

yeh i to got the wrong bolts too, but just went a head and used the stock studs , did not bother to call,since the truck was all a part did not have the time to wait.

Stainless Works

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello dolfanatic1399 & vipergts -

We sincerely apologize about the header bolt issue, our Bill of Materials was in error with the wrong pitch thread and was corrected on 12/12/11, so systems packaged after that date are all corrected.

I hope your still happy with the performance of our system. If you need anything else please contact me directly. For 2012 we are hoping to be a vendor sponsor on this forum, stay tuned!

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Help!!!

Just recieved my headers and I recieved my bolt kit 8mmx1.25x25mm.
Stainless told me to use a better bolt. A stage 8 locking bolt or ARP bolts.
So I did a search on "JEGS" web site thanks to Silverbolt for pointing me in the right direction on where to look for them,
but when I look on there their web site only offers for the 5.4L 8mmx1.25x22mm.
Does anyone know which size is the correct size for the header bolts of the 5.4L?

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2V 5.4 in my HD trucks and Lightnings were an M8x1.25 thread and I always use 30mm UHL ARP 12 point SS bolts.

Stage 8's sucked. Larger heads (harder to fit wrenches on), 6 point vs 12, and rusted up.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
My 2V 5.4 in my HD trucks and Lightnings were an M8x1.25 thread and I always use 30mm UHL ARP 12 point SS bolts.

Stage 8's sucked. Larger heads (harder to fit wrenches on), 6 point vs 12, and rusted up.

Aren't our heads Aluminum? I was told NOT to use Stainless Steel bolts with Aluminum. Now the 30mm is even longer. The 2V and 3V bolts have to be totally different I'm assuming.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes our heads are aluminum. Where did you hear not to use SS bolts in them?

I've used bassani bolts, kooks bolts, american racing bolts, dynatech bolts, stage 8 bolts, and arp bolts, for headers. By far the ARP's are the best, and the ONLY ones I've had that didn't rust, and the EASIEST by far to install thanks to the head design. They don't list them specifically as header bolts, but knowing the size you just order that size ARP bolt.

How thick are your flanges? I'm sure the 2v and 3v are slightly different but I would imagine the thread depth is similar for thread engagement. If you've got 20mm (0.787") UHL bolts, and your flange is 3/8" thick, plus a gasket, that only gives you a little more than 3/8" of thread engagement into the head. That seems pretty short.

I'm almost positive my 30mm (1.18") UHL ARP bolts came with washers, so that takes up a couple mm's, along with a 3/8" header flange it still leaves a good 3/4" of thread engagement in the head.

I believe ARP also has a 25mm UHL bolt. I'd do those bare minimum, but 30mm UHL if they'll fit. Pop one exhaust bolt out and use a set of calipers to check the depth of the hole in the head.

beefcake

Full Access Member
Reaction score