Stainless Works Catted Downpipes vs SPD Turbo Adapters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am considering the Stainless Works Catted Downpipes vs the SPD Turbo Adapters. What is the advantage of the catted downpipes and will there be any benefit if I am planning to leave the factory resonator and factory tailpipes? (i.e. I just want to change the muffler for a deeper tone)

More HP? Louder?

Stainless Works Catted Downpipes:
2017+ Ford Raptor Catted Downpipe

SPD Turbo Adapters:
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/ADPT35R-2017-Raptor-3-5L-EcoBoost-SPD-High-Flow-Turbo-Exhaust-Adapter.html

According to the shop I am talking to, I will not need the turbo adapters if I go with the catted downpipes.

Also, does anyone know how much louder the interior sound will be when running catted downpipes?

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had just the SW catted downpipes for a while. Not much change in normal driving. Maybe a bit louder. When you gas it, it's a lot louder and there is a noticeable raspiness.

Couple things.

The quality of those pipes is amazing. I was very impressed.

The fit was not very good IMO. The pipes rattle at the point where they converge. The gap is too close and you can see wear marks on the pipes after a while from them rattling/rubbing.

They hang lower than the frame support crossbar by an inch.

At first removing the turbo adapters seemed like an easy way to increase flow. But because of all the truck motion while offroading, there were three times when the bolts mounting the exhaust to the turbo backed themselves out almost all the way. Threadlocker and new bolts didn't fix the problem.

Just my personal opinion from having them about 6 months.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The fit was not very good IMO. The pipes rattle at the point where they converge. The gap is too close and you can see wear marks on the pipes after a while from them rattling/rubbing.

They hang lower than the frame support crossbar by an inch.

At first removing the turbo adapters seemed like an easy way to increase flow. But because of all the truck motion while offroading, there were three times when the bolts mounting the exhaust to the turbo backed themselves out almost all the way. Threadlocker and new bolts didn't fix the problem.

Just my personal opinion from having them about 6 months.

Thanks for the cautionary note! Did you have SPD Turbo Adapters and then, removed them for the SW catted downpipes? If so, did you notice any improvements in how the truck performed?

I am a little concerned about them being 1" lower than the crossbar. Are they in a place where they can be damaged or does it just look bad? Also, are you still having to tighten them on a regular basis?

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the cautionary note! Did you have SPD Turbo Adapters and then, removed them for the SW catted downpipes? If so, did you notice any improvements in how the truck performed?

I am a little concerned about them being 1" lower than the crossbar. Are they in a place where they can be damaged or does it just look bad? Also, are you still having to tighten them on a regular basis?

I went the reverse route. Went from SW pipes and completely switched to SPD adapters and SPD downpipes. Didn’t notice any difference in power. I think the SPD pipes sound a little better tho.

After the third time of tightening them I took em off. No issues so far with the SPD parts. I never had any issues with the SW pipes hitting anything but if you take your truck on some gnarly trails or jump it I would guess the SW pipes could be damaged.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went the reverse route. Went from SW pipes and completely switched to SPD adapters and SPD downpipes. Didn’t notice any difference in power. I think the SPD pipes sound a little better tho.

After the third time of tightening them I took em off. No issues so far with the SPD parts. I never had any issues with the SW pipes hitting anything but if you take your truck on some gnarly trails or jump it I would guess the SW pipes could be damaged.

I was told I did not need the turbo adapters with the SW down pipes as they bolt right up to the turbos. The SPD downpipes must be different in that regard. Do the SPD down pipes hang down below the cross member?

Also, what did you do with the rest of your exhaust? Is it stock or do you have an after market system? I am considering keeping mine stock or just changing out the muffler with something like the Flowmaster FX. I like the way the Toadsters exhaust sounds and all he has is the SPD turbo adapters and Flowmaster FX. He left the stock resonator and the stock tail pipes.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With Stainless Works downpipes, you do not need Turbo Adapters as they bolt directly to the turbos.

With SPD Downpipes and Kooks Downpipes, you can upgrade to the SPD Adapters for additional flow.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is a pretty good video that compares the stock exhaust to various options from Stainless Works. I like the SW Downpipes to stock exhaust the best!

If someone can confirm they do not drone or throw CEL, I might be sold on them.

Scroll ahead to the 1:45 mark to hear the comparison videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGSwQ3vIc1A

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a pretty good video that compares the stock exhaust to various options from Stainless Works. I like the SW Downpipes to stock exhaust the best!

If someone can confirm they do not drone or throw CEL, I might be sold on them.

Scroll ahead to the 1:45 mark to hear the comparison videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGSwQ3vIc1A

The Stainless Works catted downpipes will throw a CEL, but that can be corrected by adding O2 extenders from Amazon.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Nick! I am probably going to pass on them, as I am trying to keep my build as easy as possible to maintain. The other exhaust sound I like is the Flowmaster Flow FX muffler replacement, like Toadsters truck. It sounds quiet when driving around town, but really growls when he gets into it.

Replacing the muffler and leaving the stock down pipe, resonator and tailpipes should give me what I am looking for, minus the CELs and drone.

EDIT: As an update to others following this thread, I contacted Stainless Works and they confirmed their Gen 2 down pipes will throw a CEL code, just like their headers on the Gen 1. Their solution is to run a tune.

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Nick! I am probably going to pass on them, as I am trying to keep my build as easy as possible to maintain. The other exhaust sound I like is the Flowmaster Flow FX muffler replacement, like Toadsters truck. It sounds quiet when driving around town, but really growls when he gets into it.

Replacing the muffler and leaving the stock down pipe, resonator and tailpipes should give me what I am looking for, minus the CELs and drone.

EDIT: As an update to others following this thread, I contacted Stainless Works and they confirmed their Gen 2 down pipes will throw a CEL code, just like their headers on the Gen 1. Their solution is to run a tune.

If you'd like a quote for that Flowmaster muffler, please let me know.

Additionally, if you haven't yet, you may want to give a listen to the Corsa kits. They replace the factory muffler or factory resonator, but bolt right into factory piping.

Here are the sound options available: