SSM 47757: Harsh ride quality.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
is there anyway to check shock settings via ForScan. Lately I feel like my front suspension is stiffer than it was when I first took delivery. I did have any issue a few weeks ago while driving on the beach where the DIS displayed "Terrain Management Unavailable" along with "Service Advance Trac" warnings.

The DTCs that set when you received those error messages can cause the VDM to enter fail safe mode, which causes the shocks to go to the stiffest setting (no voltage applied). Pull the DTCs using ForScan and see what you come up with.

EastEndAngler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DTCs that set when you received those error messages can cause the VDM to enter fail safe mode, which causes the shocks to go to the stiffest setting (no voltage applied). Pull the DTCs using ForScan and see what you come up with.

Appreciate the advice. I just pulled the codes via ForScan but i don't see any faults related to the VDM. Attached some screen shots of the full scan. Should i clear them?

* I do have an intermittent front drivers side TPMS malfunction (it is not the sensor in the wheel as I've already done my first tire rotation.

** I do feel like the harshness is most noticeable up front. It almost feels like a bad control arm bushing on my Audi S4

IMG_3824.jpg IMG_3826.jpg IMG_3822.jpg IMG_3823.jpg IMG_3825.jpg IMG_3824.jpg IMG_3826.jpg

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Appreciate the advice. I just pulled the codes via ForScan but i don't see any faults related to the VDM. Attached some screen shots of the full scan. Should i clear them?

* I do have an intermittent front drivers side TPMS malfunction (it is not the sensor in the wheel as I've already done my first tire rotation.

** I do feel like the harshness is most noticeable up front. It almost feels like a bad control arm bushing on my Audi S4

View attachment 155427 View attachment 155428 View attachment 155419 View attachment 155420 View attachment 155421 View attachment 155427 View attachment 155428

The steering angle DTC in the ABS may be causing your issue, as a valid steering angle input is required for the VDM to properly operate the shocks. Try clearing all DTCs and then run On-Demand Self Tests on the ABS, PSCM, RCM, and VDM. If no DTCs are found, try driving it to see if the issue is resolved.

Last edited:

EastEndAngler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sheer angle DTC in the ABS may be causing your issue, as a valid steering angle input is required for the VDM to properly operate the shocks. Try clearing all DTCs and then run On-Demand Self Tests on the ABS, PSCM, RCM, and VDM. If no DTCs are found, try driving it to see if the issue is resolved.

First and foremost, thanks @FordTechOne - invaluable forum resource, we are lucky to have ya!

- Cleared the codes and ran the On-Demand self test. All good.

I drove the truck for a few miles...maybe its better? I decided to run the DTC scan again when I got back and pulled only one code:

TCU: U0100:00-A "Lost Communication With ECM/PCM A"
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Telematic Control Unit

- I also dove into the PID for the ride heigh sensors and voltage at all four corners. Do these values seem correct? (note this was down on a perfectly flat concrete slab)

IMG_3833.jpg IMG_3834.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First and foremost, thanks @FordTechOne - invaluable forum resource, we are lucky to have ya!

- Cleared the codes and ran the On-Demand self test. All good.

I drove the truck for a few miles...maybe its better? I decided to run the DTC scan again when I got back and pulled only one code:

TCU: U0100:00-A "Lost Communication With ECM/PCM A"
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Telematic Control Unit

- I also dove into the PID for the ride heigh sensors and voltage at all four corners. Do these values seem correct? (note this was down on a perfectly flat concrete slab)

View attachment 155450 View attachment 155451

The rear sensor PIDs can be ignored; those are only used on Lincolns that have 4 ride height sensors. The VDM is the same, which is why they show up.

The TCU is simply the modem for FordPass and internet connectivity; unless you have an observable symptom, the DTC you found can be ignored.

I don't recall exactly what the front ride height sensor PIDs should read, maybe someone else with ForScan can post their values.

AK_Raptor

Reaction score
did you ever figure anything out about this? I just bought a 2020 screw and have the same complaint. nothing I do seems to make a difference, dang thing rides like an unloaded 3/4ton.
1st trip to Death Valley in my 2020 SCAB, aired down to 20psi and it’s wasn’t any better. Very disappointed in the ride quality on dirt roads and wash boards. It takes the huge stuff great however I feel every pebble in the road and it seems as though it will tear apart the truck over time.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
1st trip to Death Valley in my 2020 SCAB, aired down to 20psi and it’s wasn’t any better. Very disappointed in the ride quality on dirt roads and wash boards. It takes the huge stuff great however I feel every pebble in the road and it seems as though it will tear apart the truck over time.
What tires do you have? This seems like something is off that’s a huge difference in my truck. Miles on the shocks?