Squadron 2 install blowing fuses??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learning from you all - what kind of relay and does it just install between up fitter wire and light harness?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
For a simple light install, a 4 post relay will work. If you’re going to do anything complex like reverse lights also able to be triggered by an up fitter, get a 5 post relay.

The relay gets power/ground from the battery, and only uses the up fitter for ‘signal’ to turn on the lights, so very, very low draw.

Dhowell

Reaction score
Is it unsafe for the upfitter wiring to be lazy and just put a 10 amp fuse in? Or should I put a relay in?

For what it’s worth, I’m glad you asked this question. I’m sure others out there (not myself of course ) had no idea either. So thanks for asking the question so one of us, I mean them, didn’t have to.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Learning from you all - what kind of relay and does it just install between up fitter wire and light harness?

Universal relay, and some crimp connectors from any of the car parts stores. I watched this video because I couldn't remember how to read the diagram on the relay, and the guys at Advanced weren't sure how to read it either. It's been a really long time since I needed to install one. Really good, simple video to show you how to do it and what wire goes to what pin.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Copied from another post so I'm assuming these are correct.

Amperage:

Switches 1-2 are rated at 15Amps
Switches 3-4 are rated at 10Amps
Switches 5-6 are rated at 5Amps

Baja Designs S1 (Pair): 2.9 Amps Max
Baja Designs S2 Sport (Pair): 1.8 Amps Max
Baja Designs S2 Pro (Pair): 3.32 Amps Max

Baja Designs Squadron SAE (Pair): 3.2 Amps Max
Baja Designs Squadron Sport (Pair): 4.0 Amps Max
Baja Designs Squadron Pro (Pair): 6.66 Amps Max

Rigid Industries D‐Series Driving (Pair): 6.28 Amps Max
Rigid Industries D‐Series SAE (Pair): 3.0 Amps Max
Rigid Industries D‐Series (All Others, Pair): 4.28 Amps Max
Rigid Industries Radiance Pod (Pairs): 2.0 Amps Max
Rigid Industries Radiance Scene (Pairs): 4.0 Amps Max

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that before. I just printed it out for myself. BD had rated the lights at 2.9 apiece, but your list says 6.6 for the Pro and I have the Racer. Either way I'm good, I set it up with a 10 amp fuse and a relay.

Your relay will handle the amperage, make sure you have the right fuse installed for the uplifter switch your using.

From Google:

If you use a vehicle's stock wiring and switches to control aftermarket devices like high-output lighting, relays will not overload or stress the OEM components. The average automotive relay can also handle a much higher current load than a switch (about 30 amps vs. 3-20 amps).

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your relay will handle the amperage, make sure you have the right fuse installed for the uplifter switch your using.

From Google:

If you use a vehicle's stock wiring and switches to control aftermarket devices like high-output lighting, relays will not overload or stress the OEM components. The average automotive relay can also handle a much higher current load than a switch (about 30 amps vs. 3-20 amps).

Thanks, I put it back to a 5 for the switch, and a 10 for the hot lead off the battery to the relay. The relay was rated at 30 amps.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I assumed the BD rating was for a pair! :doh2: **** me in the ass!!!! Thanks, now I can redo all my tie ins. Thanks.

I had talked to a buddy that's a full time wrench and he told me to pop a 10 in for a minute and see what happened, and it worked fine. So I guess either put a relay in or switch my circuits around. Thanks again, I was getting really pissed off at myself.

Exactly how long did it take you to blow a squadron?
You knew it was coming. Oops, again.;)