GEN 1 Spring removal

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modification' started by Jhollowell, Jul 12, 2018.

Sponsored By: Fox - Redefining Ride Dynamics
  1. Jhollowell

Jhollowell Full Access Member

Has anyone used the spring compressors from the auto parts store to remove our coils? Local shop wants 90 bucks a piece to take them off. I can probably find somewhere cheaper but just curious if it’s a big pain to try it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Punkur67

Punkur67 Member

I took mine off by removing the nut with an impact while the shock was laying on the ground. This is how I saw it done in videos on YouTube. Spring did not jump at all. However I did the same with a Geiser and it shot the cap off a couple feet.

3. J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE Full Access Member

Stock springs at low perch, you can lay it down and use an impact to remove the nut, if they are at mid perch, or Geiser springs, compress them before removing nut.

4. Chinmasterflex

Chinmasterflex Full Access Member

I've used the apring compressors from the local parts store without any issues. It's pretty darn easy as long as you have the correct style of compressor.

5. BenBB

BenBB Full Access Member

All of these guys are spot on; low perch stock spring just pull the shock and impact off the nut. Cheapy/borrowed sticks are probably ok if you don't have/use an impact for low perch stock spring on both removal and installation; mid or higher perch or Geiser springs and you might find out why they call them "widowmakers" (probably a lot less of a hazard if you have the shock removed than if trying to use them to mid perch while on the truck). I ran into the same issue, local shops wanted $80 a pop to pull them off, same price to put them back on. **** that. Ebay compressors like this one worked perfect for a third of the price and will easily handle mid perch, top perch, Giesers, maybe 3.0's I dunno.

6. Jhollowell

Jhollowell Full Access Member

Thanks guys. I’m going from stock springs on mid to geisers on mid. I can always drop the stocks to low while on the truck and start with the shocks on low when i put the geisers on. But i may just get a good spring compressor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE Full Access Member

I’m doing the same project , your better of setting your shock to mid perch, then compressing the new spring , install it and your top hat, then slowly remove spring compressors, you will have more leeway to work with, than being confined to space. But that’s all up to your comfort zone of working.