Sports Mode & MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
I hand calculated gallons of fuel used v. miles traveled on trip odometer, and my gen 3 is getting 13.8 MPG combined with almost zero idle time. That's a far cry from the 17.8 combined my Gen 2 got on the same tires, wonder what's changed. Yes winter blend fuel and very cold temps aren't helping me.
Not why we buy a Raptor, but saw a similar drop between GEN2 vs GEN3 running 91-octane and same daily driving routes. Guessing lack of start/stop chip is big part of the drop.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not why we buy a Raptor, but saw a similar drop between GEN2 vs GEN3 running 91-octane and same daily driving routes. Guessing lack of start/stop chip is big part of the drop.
Because we like to have fun! I always disabled auto stop/start on the Gen 2. I'm not worried about the decrease, but it is significant. Haven't done any long trips yet, I hope I still get close to 600 mile range at 70-75 mph. Have you tested your range at all?

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Because we like to have fun! I always disabled auto stop/start on the Gen 2. I'm not worried about the decrease, but it is significant. Haven't done any long trips yet, I hope I still get close to 600 mile range at 70-75 mph. Have you tested your range at all?
Not really, GEN2 road trips I've remember under 600, maybe 570-575. GEN3 it more like 510-520

Reaction score
California 91 (best I can get) is getting me 14-15 driving normally. Is 93 much of a MPG improvement?
nope, 93 in Texas actually gave me worse mpg than 91 in cali on a long road trip. Although at high speed, wind/elevation changes probably played a much bigger factor in MPG.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If using the onboard mpg calculator, it could simply be more accurate than in the past.
If calculated manually, not sure why.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the last two tanks I hand calculated for a change and both 15.1 mpg. computer said 16.1. you definitely can't trust that computer. they estimate 540 per tank and I think finally I am getting what they estimate.

definitely cant trust the computer.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i dont see how it would be possible to get better mpg in sport mode. it holds the revs, doesnt shift as quickyl and stays in a lower gear. and correct the ciomputer is way off. gotta do a hand calc.
i use fuelly to track it and do it for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free