SPod, SwitchPro, vs etc…?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve never had a vehicle with upfitter switches or have even thought about needing a control module type of system so all is new to me in general.

I like having clean installs on the interior so really like the SwarfWorks SwitchPro options for the sunglasses area but am not aware of any other similar style install units for either the SPod or SwitchPro.

SPod says 8 30amp circuits per board with up to 32 total circuits which seems like a big plus in the SPod’s favor compared to the 8 or 12 circuit options for the SwitchPro.

Total loads is something I haven’t been able to find on the SPod as of writing this but the SwitchPro is limited to 125amp for the 9100 and 150amp for the 12 circuit model. Anyone know the max current load for the SPod?

My understanding is the SPod is a much easier wiring install compared to the SwitchPro (only one wire to the cab) but that the SwitchPro allows more additional features like triggers but that the SwitchPro is ignition wired instead of always hot.

I also like the waterproof housing for the SPod vs the engine mounting options I’ve seen so far for the SwitchPro.

Anyone have opinions which is better than the other not including the touch screen vs buttons? I like the aftermarket install solutions for the SwitchPro more enough that the buttons would suffice over the touchscreen with all else being equal.

Any other alternative units that better these would be great to learn about as well. I’m debating upgrading the factory upfitters with the LVJ module so that the relays are easily accessible and can carry larger loads then add a smart module like the SwitchPro or SPod for the extra capacity. But, I’ve just started researching this stuff since ordering all the needed material for installing my first light bar and fog lights.

Bests
Alex

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, do you need more then 6 switches? If not, you don't need to get a SwitchPro or Spod. Those are only needed IF you need more lighting circuits and/or want features like strobing. Otherwise if 6 switches does it for you, stick with the factory upfitters.

If you need more amps you can use relay harnesses OR (what I did) the LVJ Motorsports relay panel. I use that for my LP9s and a set of Squadron Pros (as I have 3 pairs in my fogs).

Basically the way my setup is

Upfitter 1 --> LVJ Motorsports Relay 1 & 2 (each relay has 2x Baja Designs LP9 Pro on it)
Upfitter 2 --> Baja Designs XL80
Upfitter 3 --> Baja Designs Squadron Pro
Upfitter 4 --> Baja Designs Squadron Pro
Upfitter 5 --> LVJ Motorsports Relay 5 (which has a pair of Baja Designs Squadron Pro on it)
Upfitter 6 --> Dual S2 Sports in my GJ Motorsports 3rd Brake Light

I also utilize the high-beam trigger on the LVJ which activates Relays 3 & 4 (which are connected to the Baja Designs LP9 Low mode, although right now only Relay 3 is activated which are my inner 2 LP9, which I found is good for "high beams" without blinding my neighbors due to the side lighting).

Would I like more switches? You bet. But I really value my sunglasses holder (i use it)

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I would like more switches eventually and I haven’t used a sunglasses holder ever I don’t think so that mounting option appeals to me since the other switches are right there too.

Do you know the maximum amp load of the SPod Bantamx module? It just states the amps per circuit not a total load.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We can sell you an sPOD when you are ready. So each circuit is rated at 30amps with a max of 100 amps for the system (before the main fuse pops).

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea I would like more switches eventually and I haven’t used a sunglasses holder ever I don’t think so that mounting option appeals to me since the other switches are right there too.

Do you know the maximum amp load of the SPod Bantamx module? It just states the amps per circuit not a total load.
a year ago I was deciding between the SP 9100 and Spod and I decided on the SP100 for 2 reasons:

- SP-9100 is a lot cheaper than the SPOD
- SP-9100 has a mounting solution in the engine bay and the SPOD does not >> https://sdhqoffroad.com/collections...switch-pros-power-under-the-hood-module-mount ... see pic below of it mounted on my 2019 Raptor.

I also had it mounted on my oem sunglass location as I never used it. Any other location would require a lot of work or cutting up your interior. see pic below of it mounted on my 2019 Raptor. But if you don't want to mount it there then this is the other option >> use https://www.builtrightind.com/colle...-2015-2020-ford-f-150-raptor-2017-f-250-f-350 with https://www.67d.com/products/switchpro-sp9100-switch-panel-holder?_pos=1&_sid=ec7ee54e1&_ss=r

Anyway, I have sinced removed everything as I have sold my GEN2 truck and ordered a GEN3. PM me as I have a ton of info on this .. too much to type. We can talk and I will let tell you everything I discovered when I was trying to decide.

1626282573156.png

1626283111976.png

Last edited:

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, when I designed the Switch-Pro mount, it was much more than just having more switches.

With the Switch-Pro, you can (all are programmable with your phone to do the following or not):

-You can have switches be available with ignition only or anytime

-Remember last setting (so if you have one on and shut the truck off, it’ll come back on when you start it again

-Delayed turn off. I had my VHF radio set to stay on for half an hour after turning the truck off

-Dim settings. Slick for dimming those bright lights. I even have a set of heated wiper blades and I can adjust how hot they get with the dimmer setting

-Strobing. The only thing cooler than bright lights are flashing bright lights! Haha

-Adjustable current setting. No fuses! If it over-limits your setting, it’ll turn off and you can push the button again to try it. Solid state rules.

-Master switch. Let’s one button control multiple outputs.

-Inputs. Use you high beam or other circuits to turn on other outputs. You could even use one upfitter switch tied to a Switch-Pro input to trigger outputs.

-Phone programming via Bluetooth

Anyway, that’s a few reasons why I like the SP.

-Paul

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, when I designed the Switch-Pro mount, it was much more than just having more switches.

With the Switch-Pro, you can (all are programmable with your phone to do the following or not):

-You can have switches be available with ignition only or anytime

-Remember last setting (so if you have one on and shut the truck off, it’ll come back on when you start it again

-Delayed turn off. I had my VHF radio set to stay on for half an hour after turning the truck off

-Dim settings. Slick for dimming those bright lights. I even have a set of heated wiper blades and I can adjust how hot they get with the dimmer setting

-Strobing. The only thing cooler than bright lights are flashing bright lights! Haha

-Adjustable current setting. No fuses! If it over-limits your setting, it’ll turn off and you can push the button again to try it. Solid state rules.

-Master switch. Let’s one button control multiple outputs.

-Inputs. Use you high beam or other circuits to turn on other outputs. You could even use one upfitter switch tied to a Switch-Pro input to trigger outputs.

-Phone programming via Bluetooth

Anyway, that’s a few reasons why I like the SP.

-Paul
Yea I watched your videos and Gaines a ton of knowledge so thank you.

I love your innovative products all around as well. A rear winch has always been on my mind if I can’t have a local fan shop weld in a receiver hitch into my frame cut bumper.

I think the 100amp max SPod sealed the deal for me just now when read that. I would need to link multiple SPod modules to one touchscreen to be able to get closer to the 120amp and 150amp capacities of the SwitchPros. I do wish you could link two SwitchPros together somehow for a touchscreen type setup but could always just add a whole other system and link them together with triggers if ever needed to so not a huge deal.

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think SDHQ makes a mount for the Switch pro that does not use the sunglass holder.

View attachment 313103

Thanks! Yea I saw that but I don’t want to get rid of the upfitters. I am looking for maximum options now so I don’t have to ever redo anything in the future. Being able to link up to 4 SPod modules to a touchscreen was a rather large upside but not so much after learning that it only handles 100amps per module.

Bests
Alex

OP
OP
A

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a year ago I was deciding between the SP 9100 and Spod and I decided on the SP100 for 2 reasons:

- SP-9100 is a lot cheaper than the SPOD
- SP-9100 has a mounting solution in the engine bay and the SPOD does not >> https://sdhqoffroad.com/collections...switch-pros-power-under-the-hood-module-mount ... see pic below of it mounted on my 2019 Raptor.

I also had it mounted on my oem sunglass location as I never used it. Any other location would require a lot of work or cutting up your interior. see pic below of it mounted on my 2019 Raptor. But if you don't want to mount it there then this is the other option >> use https://www.builtrightind.com/colle...-2015-2020-ford-f-150-raptor-2017-f-250-f-350 with https://www.67d.com/products/switchpro-sp9100-switch-panel-holder?_pos=1&_sid=ec7ee54e1&_ss=r

Anyway, I have sinced removed everything as I have sold my GEN2 truck and ordered a GEN3. PM me as I have a ton of info on this .. too much to type. We can talk and I will let tell you everything I discovered when I was trying to decide.

View attachment 313077

View attachment 313084
Thanks for the input. Yea price wasn’t really a factor for me between the two as I was just wanting to make sure I did it all correctly from the get go so not replacing or upgrading once I fill up a unit. That’s why I kind of liked the idea of going with the SPod so could have up to 32 circuits on one touchscreen before needing to upgrade but at only 100amps maximum per brain module the costs now will add up. It’s about a 3:2 ratio cost vs ampaerage so not outrageous even then but not sure if it makes sense being that they are pretty equal otherwise.

I also like the mounting options which aren’t available without fab work for the SPod. All the nice clean kits for the SwitchPro alone almost had my mind made up plus the engine bay mounting options.

If I think of anything I’ll PM you but think will most likely go with the SwitchPro unless someone shares some mounting options I haven’t been able to find. The sunglasses location angled towards the driver is my favorite as of now so will most likely go with that.

I just got my DTP, DT, and WeatherPack connections kits and tooling so can run all my wiring with top notch plugs so can easily change stuff around or move stuff without a hassle. I don’t like how some people added fuse blocks and bus bars when a simple pinned waterproof connection is all that is required.

Bests
Alex