Speedometer is off by 5mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a road trip this weekend and noticed my speedo is 5mph slower. I have changed tires to a 35/12.5/17 but I did do a tire size correction with the Cobb AP. I'm really scratching my head on this one since the speedo should only be off by 1% or so. Don't know if any one has any suggestions or not? I have altered the AFE bias for a more accurate MPG reading. I'm not sure if that would affect the speedo, I got the information about changing the AFE bias from the f150 forums.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not every tire of the same spec will have the same circumference. Does Cobb allow for tire circumference to be used instead of tire size?

ghost410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it consistently off by 5mph at all speeds or at a certain speed? If you could calculate the exact percentage off it is, should be easy to correct in the Cobb. If it’s a consistent 5mph at all speeds, there’s other issues

OP
OP
ColoradoBoss

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears to be consistently off at all speeds. only other thing that i can think of is the AFE bias, so i'm thinking of putting that back to stock and the cobb tire size back to stock and check my speed again.

ghost410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was the tire size correction in the Cobb causing the issue it would be a set percentage do The mph it was off would increase with speed. So I’d rule that out

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not every tire of the same spec will have the same circumference. Does Cobb allow for tire circumference to be used instead of tire size?

I don't believe so, but I will check when I get home form work.

Cobb does allow you to put whatever height you want in there. I think stock the number is like 33.4" (less than even the ideal size of 34.35"). I have had Yokohama 37s that are 36.8 or so without a load and now BFG 37s that are like 36.3 unloaded. I have just adjusted that number to compensate, but always go a little lower than the unloaded actual height.

Steve-PNW

Reaction score
Cobb does allow you to put whatever height you want in there. I think stock the number is like 33.4" (less than even the ideal size of 34.35"). I have had Yokohama 37s that are 36.8 or so without a load and now BFG 37s that are like 36.3 unloaded. I have just adjusted that number to compensate, but always go a little lower than the unloaded actual height.
can confirm