Special Lighting Hookup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's what in the SP9100 Instructions..

Enable Output Dimming
Enables dimming of lights. All switch outputs are dimmable. The dimming function for each switch must be enabled in the App menu under settings/output dimming. When the dimming function is enabled, the switch will still function normal if pressed on/off. The dimming is actuated when pressing and holding the switch on for 1.5 seconds. The switch led indicator will start to flash fast for 1 second, indicating a 70% output. Then in 1 second increments the dimming will decrease to 50%, 30% and 10%. The switch led indicator flash rate will also decrease, indicating the level of dimming. When the desired dimming level is achieved, releasing the switch will lock in the dimming level. The level is not stored, and resets each time the switch is powered off. The next time the switch is turned on and dimmed, the level will start at 70% again

I also called Baja on what might me a good setting to sort of make them legal for street use and they recommended maybe 45-50% of full brightness (at least for the unlimited series) ....all subjective of course :)

Hope that helps

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the other thread I linked:
the BCM will permanently disable the circuit and the BCM will set an internal failure DTC, which requires replacement of the module itself.
Wait, what?! I'm no engineer but...software self-destructing hardware, that's worse than engineered obsolescence.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, here's what in the SP9100 Instructions..

Enable Output Dimming
Enables dimming of lights. All switch outputs are dimmable. The dimming function for each switch must be enabled in the App menu under settings/output dimming. When the dimming function is enabled, the switch will still function normal if pressed on/off. The dimming is actuated when pressing and holding the switch on for 1.5 seconds. The switch led indicator will start to flash fast for 1 second, indicating a 70% output. Then in 1 second increments the dimming will decrease to 50%, 30% and 10%. The switch led indicator flash rate will also decrease, indicating the level of dimming. When the desired dimming level is achieved, releasing the switch will lock in the dimming level. The level is not stored, and resets each time the switch is powered off. The next time the switch is turned on and dimmed, the level will start at 70% again

I also called Baja on what might me a good setting to sort of make them legal for street use and they recommended maybe 45-50% of full brightness (at least for the unlimited series) ....all subjective of course :)

Hope that helps

Are you planning on doing anything about the beam pattern? if you put a dimmer on your high beams, and dim them, and drive around with them on all the time, they are still going to be blinding to oncoming drivers because of their high/long distance beam pattern. Spots or combo's are going to be the same way.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I did exactly what I wanted. But I went to the most experienced installer in Seattle. I had a big discussion with him about the BCM and he convinced me that he has done this on lots of Raptors and Super Duty’s and has never seen a problem. He installs stuff like this on McLarens, Bugatti’s, etc. so we will see how it works out.

I have replaced countless BCMs damaged by aftermarket modifications on everything from Transits to F-550 Ambulances. The reason installers claim to “never have an issue” is because the failures typically occur later on, and the vehicle ends up at the dealer with a complaint of inoperable lighting.

Per the Ford Body Builders Advisory Service (BBAS), no additional load should be added to any BCM circuit. If a component is being replaced with an aftermarket one, a relay should be installed in place of the original component:

“Never drive additional electrical load directly from the Body Control Module (BCM) output. The BCM output must drive an auxiliary relay coil only. If you try to drive an aftermarket electrical load directly, the BCM will likely disable the output and you may have to replace the BCM.”

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait, what?! I'm no engineer but...software self-destructing hardware, that's worse than engineered obsolescence.

It’s a safety issue. The module can only handle being over loaded a certain amount of times before the internal components are compromised.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So based on what you quoted, the BCM isn't concerned about a minimum load, just max. So if you rewire so that your headlights run off relay, whether OEM or aftermarket, along with any aftermarket lights, you won't go over the max load for BCM. Correct?

The BCM will set DTCs for both low current (open/bulb out) as well as high current (over loaded/short to ground). The thresholds at which the BCM will set DTCs are dependent on the load being driven. For example, an LED headlamp is going to draw less current than a halogen headlamp.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The BCM will set DTCs for both low current (open/bulb out) as well as high current (over loaded/short to ground). The thresholds at which the BCM will set DTCs are dependent on the load being driven. For example, an LED headlamp is going to draw less current than a halogen headlamp.

Sp lowering the high beam load, either by replacing with LEDS or a relay, would allow you to connect a relay switch for aux lights?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sp lowering the high beam load, either by replacing with LEDS or a relay, would allow you to connect a relay switch for aux lights?

No, because the BCM is calibrated for each output. Therefore it has known current draw that it expects to see when the circuit is powered on. If the current draw is a above or below threshold, it will set a DTC.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m betting a BCM replacement wouldn’t be cheap and the last thing any of us wants is no headlights, which as we all know will only happen at night.

Good info, and enough for me to leave well enough alone.

Siebuhr

Reaction score
There are so many acronyms in this thread that my Google is no longer responsive.

TL;DR: Don't do this:
“Never drive additional electrical load directly from the Body Control Module (BCM) output. The BCM output must drive an auxiliary relay coil only. If you try to drive an aftermarket electrical load directly, the BCM will likely disable the output and you may have to replace the BCM.”