Special Lighting Hookup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the other thread I linked:

This is exactly right. The majority of lighting outputs from the BCM are controlled by Field Effect Transistors (FETs). They monitor circuit current, and will set DTCs if the current draw is out of range.

There are multiple thresholds that must be met before the BCM will disable the circuit output. Therefore, you could have a DTC set and there would not be any visual indication of it. Once that DTC continues to be present over a predetermined amount of cycles/time, the BCM will permanently disable the circuit and the BCM will set an internal failure DTC, which requires replacement of the module itself.

The system is not designed for any load in excess of the factory component draw. That includes relays as well. The only time relays can be used is when the relay is replacing the original component, such as when an upfitter removes the factory incandescent lamps on a chassis cab and uses a relay to power LED lamps. The relay substitutes for the load drawn by the factory incandescents. If the LEDs were replaced without using the relay, a DTC would set for the current draw being too low (open circuit).

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have installed the Switch Pros SP9100 or their newer RCR-Force 12. Would like to know how their dimming capability is. In other words can you dim spot lights to be legal on the pavement and use them full force off road. Appreciate any info on this and how would you rate Switch Pros all together as a product...

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the switch pro 9100, however I’ve not tried the dimming. Otherwise it’s a great device, very customizable and you can connect via Bluetooth to remote access the unit
There’s a good video on YouTube from Paul over at Swarfworks
https://youtu.be/EEmIfdEmzAI

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From the other thread I linked:
So based on what you quoted, the BCM isn't concerned about a minimum load, just max. So if you rewire so that your headlights run off relay, whether OEM or aftermarket, along with any aftermarket lights, you won't go over the max load for BCM. Correct?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So based on what you quoted, the BCM isn't concerned about a minimum load, just max. So if you rewire so that your headlights run off relay, whether OEM or aftermarket, along with any aftermarket lights, you won't go over the max load for BCM. Correct?

No. "The system is not designed for any load in excess of the factory component draw. That includes relays as well."

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. "The system is not designed for any load in excess of the factory component draw. That includes relays as well."

If you remove the factory component (headlights) then adding a relay won't make it excess of the designed load. I don't know if that means you have a relay for the headlights and relay for aftermarket lights, or a single relay for both headlights and aftermarket lights.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

below the maximum is not in excess.

I presume in this case we would be talking about putting the high beams and not the entire headlight array on a relay, so that the high beam current draw would be minimized, and then either other lights could be added to the circuit or separately wired and triggered off the now relayed high beams.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
below the maximum is not in excess.

I presume in this case we would be talking about putting the high beams and not the entire headlight array on a relay, so that the high beam current draw would be minimized, and then either other lights could be added to the circuit or separately wired and triggered off the now relayed high beams.

Sounds like a great excuse for Ford to void warranties on specific components.