Speaker upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@The Car Stereo Company if I were to just replace the stock Sony speakers with something that will drop in what would you recommend? I'm not sure if it's only the door speakers that have drop in replacements or if the tweeters and center speaker can be done as well? Thanks!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@The Car Stereo Company if I were to just replace the stock Sony speakers with something that will drop in what would you recommend? I'm not sure if it's only the door speakers that have drop in replacements or if the tweeters and center speaker can be done as well? Thanks!
focal and jl audio would probably be the speakers to get. they have decent 5x7 components for the front, and then you can get the matching coax in the rear. the front tweeters will take small modifications to fit, but anyone can do it. i believe the jl audio c3 tweeter will front load with a small amount of enlarging the tweeter hole. the focals i always load from the back. you can get a thin metal strap and bend it to the shape of the tweeter and then screw it in. or if you are fancy, you can print a bracket or laser cut a bracket. we never worry about the center speaker. we always disconnect it when adding speakers or a complete sound system.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
focal and jl audio would probably be the speakers to get. they have decent 5x7 components for the front, and then you can get the matching coax in the rear. the front tweeters will take small modifications to fit, but anyone can do it. i believe the jl audio c3 tweeter will front load with a small amount of enlarging the tweeter hole. the focals i always load from the back. you can get a thin metal strap and bend it to the shape of the tweeter and then screw it in. or if you are fancy, you can print a bracket or laser cut a bracket. we never worry about the center speaker. we always disconnect it when adding speakers or a complete sound system.

I'm assuming you're talking about these?

I'm assuming you'd use the tweeters to replace the front ones and just leave the woofers in the front doors, then attach the tweeters to the woofer and run them in the rear doors? Does 800 dollars seem right for that kind of setup? Maybe I've just never bought good speakers in the past, just seems a little expensive for door speakers. I wouldn't mind running JL's to match the sub though. I guess the upside to the JL C3's is they wouldn't require the crossovers for the front tweeters since you'd use the stock wires for those, and then the rears would just plug into the woofer.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're talking about these?

I'm assuming you'd use the tweeters to replace the front ones and just leave the woofers in the front doors, then attach the tweeters to the woofer and run them in the rear doors? Does 800 dollars seem right for that kind of setup? Maybe I've just never bought good speakers in the past, just seems a little expensive for door speakers. I wouldn't mind running JL's to match the sub though. I guess the upside to the JL C3's is they wouldn't require the crossovers for the front tweeters since you'd use the stock wires for those, and then the rears would just plug into the woofer.
yes the jl audio speakers run $400+ per pair. as for the crossovers, you need to use them for the tweeters. the mid bass drivers can connect direct to the wires in the door. the rears dont necessarily need to be the same. you can do a cheaper speaker

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes the jl audio speakers run $400+ per pair. as for the crossovers, you need to use them for the tweeters. the mid bass drivers can connect direct to the wires in the door. the rears dont necessarily need to be the same. you can do a cheaper speaker

How about these for the front door speakers and tweeters:

And these for the rear door speakers:

JL's tweeters are all out of stock right now, so without spending 600 dollars just for the C3 component "kit" for the front there's no other options since the regular C3's don't come with the tweeters and you have to buy them separately. Also, I found this picture showing the Focal tweeters fit in the front stock location with a tiny bit of modification.

0342d437-06b8-4af0-bf81-2bbbe5249b32.jpg

Thinking maybe the more expensive Focal components for the front would be good with the slightly cheaper Focal coaxials for the back. Would end up being around 550 for both pairs.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, those speakers will work just fine. the focal tweeters will front mount like in your picture, but its a lot of filing to make it happen. the jl audio tweeters are smaller so its less work. most of our customers dont want to change the appearance of the truck so we usually load them in from the back and keep the oem look. i will check on speaker prices today and see if we can do any better than crutchfield

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes, those speakers will work just fine. the focal tweeters will front mount like in your picture, but its a lot of filing to make it happen. the jl audio tweeters are smaller so its less work. most of our customers dont want to change the appearance of the truck so we usually load them in from the back and keep the oem look. i will check on speaker prices today and see if we can do any better than crutchfield

I actually like that look in the picture, and have the tools necessary to make it happen. Thanks!

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just ordered the Focal ISU 570 for the front and Focal ICU 570 for the rear. Looking forward to dropping them in!

EDIT: Front and rear speakers came in, just waiting for a chance to get them installed!

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Noah, do you have a couple recommendations for surface mount tweeters for the front? I have a 2011, and there is no accommodation for tweeters except the triangular interior plastic panel at the front bottom of the front door windows. I figure to simply wire them to the factory door speakers and rely on the tweeters' internal cross-overs.