Speaker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 17 with the Sony system. Any recommendations on just replacing the speakers? Looking to upgrade without going full system upgrade.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any 6x9 component will be an upgrade, just depends on how much you want to spend. as much as i dont like alpine, their 6x9 components will work vey well and are very cheap. but just remeber, if you decide to finish the upgrade, you will want better speakers than that.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe JL Audio C1's which I would never run but you're trying to upgrade your speakers without upgrading your power. If you have the Sony it's much cheaper to upgrade to good speakers with a small 4 channel amp than the B&O. Not sure if it's a money issue or you just feel overwhelmed but I have no doubt you will still be unhappy and you waisted your time and money.

OP
OP
Chiefapple

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe JL Audio C1's which I would never run but you're trying to upgrade your speakers without upgrading your power. If you have the Sony it's much cheaper to upgrade to good speakers with a small 4 channel amp than the B&O. Not sure if it's a money issue or you just feel overwhelmed but I have no doubt you will still be unhappy and you waisted your time and money.
I’ve gone full stupid before with sound. I don’t care enough anymore, just want a bit more without revamping the whole truck.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve gone full stupid before with sound. I don’t care enough anymore, just want a bit more without revamping the whole truck.
Gotcha, I have over 10K so I know what stupid is, lol. But 3K aftermarket is one hell of a system without going stupid.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So... I’ve been down this road with a 2017, and you need to be honest with yourself about how important precisely replicated audio is to you.

If you can’t hear Bernie Leadon in ‘Take it Easy’, your stereo isn’t accurately reproducing the music. If that’s the case, it’s just noise.

Honestly, if you replace the speakers, you SHOULD insulate the doors. You’re in there, pull the door panels off once, and get it over with. Second, once you have the new speakers, you’re going to want new amps and a signal processor.

Why? You just put real speakers in so...?

Because, the newer, higher quality speakers will expose the exceedingly poor sound quality coming out of the stock system.

So, plan on spending more. How much more depends on your tolerance for out of balance sound.

As long as you maintain the stock amp and mixing, the truck will roll off bass above volume setting 20, no matter what amp you have. I went this route - was the first mod I made actually and it was great, until I heard the full system with the poor stock mixing so then I decided to take the advice of others more versed in the upgrades than me and mod the rest of the system.

First I modded the stock sub box with a kicker 8” shallow depth and 300w amp, doc’d in the gen 2 audio sub forum. Then I did speakers, then insulation on the doors. Then I decided the mixing on the stock system was too bad to live with so

Rockford Fosgate DSR1, Mobile Toyz behind the seat sub, 10” JL w/ 450w, 75w x4 from Crutchfield and mounted it all up.

Then, before the install, I again heeded some advice here on FRF and picked up some Focal components for the front.

So I pulled front door covers again, swapped out speakers, wired for components, pulling the a-pillars. did NOT wire up the center channel.

wired in amps, did some configuring and started up. Everything pretty much worked, and then I messed with the DSR a few times trying to improve things but I’ve ended up really close to flat signal.

Components up front make a difference. The front stage is more bright, more full and more accurate. Rears fill in the depth nicely and the sub lays the foundation for it all.

I would spare you the expense of doing it more than once. spend the extra money up front, enjoy for many more years after.

EDIT: spelling correction.

Last edited:

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 17 with the Sony system. Any recommendations on just replacing the speakers? Looking to upgrade without going full system upgrade.
speakers will not be much of an upgrade I went down the road of front components ,and now 9000 $ and rising ,I'm still messing with it .to me for a good sq system ,u need 250 per channel up front just for the doors ,70 -125 for the tweets ,and at least 1000 for at least 2 subs 10 and up .and lose the rear speakers .run front active .

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
speakers will not be much of an upgrade I went down the road of front components ,and now 9000 $ and rising ,I'm still messing with it .to me for a good sq system ,u need 250 per channel up front just for the doors ,70 -125 for the tweets ,and at least 1000 for at least 2 subs 10 and up .and lose the rear speakers .run front active .

LOL

No you don’t. 50w x 4 + 400w to a 10” sub would run about 130db - enough for permanent hearing damage with long exposure.

Now, after long exposure to loud noise and the accompanying permanent hearing loss, yeah, 250w x 2 & 70-125 x2 plus the subs might be necessary and would certainly drive the final nail in the coffin of your hearing.

In all seriousness, this is a mod in which you actually can go too far.
There is a happy medium, for sure and everyone is going to have a different perception of sound and power needed to get what they want but be careful.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL

No you don’t. 50w x 4 + 400w to a 10” sub would run about 130db - enough for permanent hearing damage with long exposure.

Now, after long exposure to loud noise and the accompanying permanent hearing loss, yeah, 250w x 2 & 70-125 x2 plus the subs might be necessary and would certainly drive the final nail in the coffin of your hearing.

In all seriousness, this is a mod in which you actually can go too far.
There is a happy medium, for sure and everyone is going to have a different perception of sound and power needed to get what they want but be careful.
no way your getting to 130 db ,with that setup .I can't even get to 130 db with my setup .mine is a sq setup so I have plenty of power for plenty of headroom ,my speaker r only 120 watts .my tweeters r 20 watts ,I'm feeding them 75. class a ,and the mids r feed with 250