Speaker balance and EQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have you guys found as the ideal settings? I found the OEM balance sounded like I had no rear speakers at all, so I set my balance back a few clicks. EQ on our trucks is laughably bad, can't believe you only get treb/mid/bass with no sub settings.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it is 14 clicks full front to full back and side to side. so 7 center it out.

The majority of your sound should appear as coming from the dash. Think of the dash as the "stage". Rear speakers should not be heard at all. they are just rear fill and to give some noise for anyone in the rear.

I admit my system sounds much better for front passengers then it does the rear. Because I dont care about them, i care about me.

And the bass, mid, trevle adjustments are what they are. Adjust to taste. Music is all recorded all over the place and it is hard to get a one setting too fit everything. The best thing to do, is when you design a new system, make sure you have a volume control knob for your sub woofers.

Mids and highs are pretty consistent, but bass is recorded at way different levels, and the volume you listen to it changes that as well.

evan9r

Reaction score
I set mine 3-4 clicks from the rear and 2-3 clicks to the right. If I center it, I cant hear as much bass from the sub and it sounds louder on the left.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I'm usually in the truck by myself, I set the balance a little heavier to the passenger side, maybe two clicks and maybe two clicks to the rear. This way, I feel I'm getting the best sound for the driver's position. When my wife is in the truck, all bets are off, as I have to keep the radio turned down.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 2018 B&O, leave balance/fade alone, adjust EQ on truck to bump treble, cut mids, barely cut bass, then send EQ'd signal from iPod/iPhone, usually "Rock" or "Treble Boost" setting. The Rock setting can be too much bass for rap/some electronic music. If I have it on treble boost, I just bump the truck EQ bass up a few clicks. That's the best sound I have gotten out of it.

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have you guys found as the ideal settings? I found the OEM balance sounded like I had no rear speakers at all, so I set my balance back a few clicks. EQ on our trucks is laughably bad, can't believe you only get treb/mid/bass with no sub settings.

The rear speakers are meant for fill only so you shouldn't ever really hear too much coming from the back. The rear speakers are usually set with limited frequency range as well so you'll never get good sound out of them unless going fully aftermarket. The B&O system makes things a bit more difficult to achieve good sound.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True... up to a point.

Ford places a 2 way coaxial speaker in the rear doors. They also send a fairly full range signal back there.

The rear speakers are meant for fill only so you shouldn't ever really hear too much coming from the back. The rear speakers are usually set with limited frequency range as well so you'll never get good sound out of them unless going fully aftermarket. The B&O system makes things a bit more difficult to achieve good sound.

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True... up to a point.

Ford places a 2 way coaxial speaker in the rear doors. They also send a fairly full range signal back there.

There is certainly bass roll off on the rear speakers at 80hz. This is why people tapping the rear speaker for a sub signal are not happy with results.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That bass roll off is a function of the factory tuning and the protective mechanisms that many factory radios have to protect the speakers from damage. The more you turn it up, the more it rolls off.

Further, it’s a 6.5 inch door speaker. It isn’t capable of playing below that anyway. I’d be surprised if it can play below 100hz. You wouldn’t expect that out of it. Even with the factory roll off, it’s still a fairly full signal for a typical door speaker.

There is certainly bass roll off on the rear speakers at 80hz. This is why people tapping the rear speaker for a sub signal are not happy with results.