SPD Equal Length Resonator Delete (Gen3-like trombone) for Gen2s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I posted (admitted) a few back... it would only make sense removing a sound mitigation device and adding pipes in it's stead could only add sound. I'd only hoped it would be a pleasant sound in which a report of "...sounds like a unrefined UPS truck" doesn't instill confidence. However, it's that kind of honestly I (we) should appreciate. Even though "sound" is EXTREMELY subjective, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution. At some point I'll probably pick one up used and see if it's in my subjective realm of pleasant.

Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The SPD EL pipe definitely changes the tone of the exhaust, and everyone’s personal tastes are so different that I think there’s no real way to tell if you’ll like it until you hear it in person.

I like the tone better than stock and from what I’m reading it sounds like I’m enjoying the tone much better than the Toadster is. To me, the 2k range is certainly bassier, but the whole rev range in general is much smoother. I’d say it’s louder from idle to 3k, from 3-6k it sounds really nice, smooth with no rasp. If you’re going into it wanting it to sound like a v8 you might be let down, but if you like the sound of a GTR you’d probably like it. At high rpm’s I hear a hint of GT.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the GTR sound... one of the last "wish I would of" cars I've not gotten. Like I said, sound is VERY subjective, and my opinion counts for squat right now because I've not heard the SPD offering in person. So it's all just academic for me other than expectations and preferences.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Between the MBRP x pipe res delete, Corsa Sport muffler, and now the SPD EL pipe, I like the SPD best. All of these were with an otherwise stock exhaust.

Second best was the Corsa, the Corsa really did a great job of making the 2k range drone free and basically no louder than stock, but when you got on it, it got too loud for me, to the point where I went wot less. The Corsa to me was kinda “on or off” if that makes sense. The SPD is more even throughout the rev range, louder than the Corsa down low, but quieter when wot from 3-6k. This sounds consistent with Toadster saying the FlowFX was quieter on cold start. I’ve never heard the FlowFX in person though.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trust me the SPD sounds amazing at high rpm’s - it really wails - my wife gave me that “look” of - boys and their toys

I sent SPD a few clips of the drone - hopefully with some headphones you can hear it with an iPhone recording - but literally partial throttle at 2k rpm is pretty deafening - everyone in the truck is yelling or saying “what did you say”?

FenixAmmo

Reaction score
Mine shipped today. I'm considering doing something totally different with the exhaust after it exits the SPD... like, merging both 3" pipes into a single 4" pipe with a straight through muffler and a simple turndown dump before the axle.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine shipped today. I'm considering doing something totally different with the exhaust after it exits the SPD... like, merging both 3" pipes into a single 4" pipe with a straight through muffler and a simple turndown dump before the axle.

I could see this being pretty cool, post a video once you’re done.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trust me the SPD sounds amazing at high rpm’s - it really wails - my wife gave me that “look” of - boys and their toys

I sent SPD a few clips of the drone - hopefully with some headphones you can hear it with an iPhone recording - but literally partial throttle at 2k rpm is pretty deafening - everyone in the truck is yelling or saying “what did you say”?

This is weird to me, I definitely wouldn’t describe it as deafening. Is everything fitted together and no leaks?

I can have a normal volume conversation with my wife with the windows up and she’s sensitive to loud exhausts. She notices it but doesn’t complain.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is weird to me, I definitely wouldn’t describe it as deafening. Is everything fitted together and no leaks?

I can have a normal volume conversation with my wife with the windows up and she’s sensitive to loud exhausts. She notices it but doesn’t complain.
Interesting. The videos posted so far sound great. I’d love to order one, but I don’t want it to drone like an old 6.2.

FenixAmmo

Reaction score
I could see this being pretty cool, post a video once you’re done.
Sure thing. I'm going to have to do some fitting one way or the other because I have a Supercab truck, and, the Stainless Works dump style exhaust currently. Like everyone else I'm working to make the truck sound better but instead of trying to make it sound like a V8 I think it makes more sense to make it sound more like a Nissan GTR.

I've never driven a V8 and and I have no emotional connection to that sound, so I'd rather make it sound totally unique and head turning in it's own way. We'll see what happens.