SPD Equal Length Resonator Delete (Gen3-like trombone) for Gen2s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn starting to think I’m glad I didn’t order one. I want it to sound better, but not louder, and drone is absolutely unacceptable.

I installed mine a couple weeks ago and didn’t want to give a full review until I had ample time to get used to it. So far I have 100 miles, and I generally agree with what Toadster said, but I have noticed the “drone” is starting to mellow out as the carbon builds up. But at the end of the day you’re removing a decent sized resonator, so to expect it to not get any louder at all is unrealistic.

I don’t find it obnoxious at all, and I don’t think I’d really call the drone drone. I’ve had my fair share of mind numbing drone when I was younger, to me this is just more “bassey” in the 2k range but I experience no resonance. Not annoying at 80mph with all windows up and the radio at 6-8, which is low.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn starting to think I’m glad I didn’t order one. I want it to sound better, but not louder, and drone is absolutely unacceptable.
My thoughts also. Drone is a definite no go for me. I had enough of that when I was a young goofball driving around with Mopar V8's with straight headers. Sucks all the fun out of a few hour trip somewhere.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t find it obnoxious at all, and I don’t think I’d really call the drone drone. I’ve had my fair share of mind numbing drone when I was younger, to me this is just more “bassey” in the 2k range but I experience no resonance. Not annoying at 80mph with all windows up and the radio at 6-8, which is low.
That is a different story and I probably should clarify that not expecting "more" sound when removing a sound canceling device IS silly. Should have qualified what I meant by louder. I'm more high pitch sensitive and actually find lower range sounds more "pleasing" (closer to the 20hz end). Just not sounds constantly resonating in my ear nor do I appreciate the higher pitch raspiness I notice from many aftermarket offerings for this engine. Thank you for a description I can wrap my head around. Funny thing is I actually select my suppressors partially including a lower more mellow criteria.

To Oldfarts point, I AM too old for loud for the sake of loud SHlT these days. More power to the folks who do.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My thoughts also. Drone is a definite no go for me. I had enough of that when I was a young goofball driving around with Mopar V8's with straight headers. Sucks all the fun out of a few hour trip somewhere.
Honestly, AWE 2FG kit is about the only exhaust mod I’d consider spending money on for the truck unless you’re going downpipes.

BONUS: every time you start the truck, you make dspangler sasquatch77 cry in her mom’s basement!

Rap19

Reaction score
I have the stock exhaust with only the SPD trombone added. It does sound great when you give it the gas, but leaving in the morning for work and leaving my employer's parking garage sounds like a unrefined UPS truck. Just normal driving sounds like I'm flooring or hot rodding when actually I'm barley giving it any pedal. After a 250 mile highway trip and a couple weeks of normal driving I decided the 1800-2100 rpms drone and unrefined noises were too much and I removed it. I wonder if 2 J-pipes (anti drone device) could fit on the trombone loop or near it to reduce the unpleasant frequencies.

one of many videos of a anti drone pipe.

Last edited:

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the stock exhaust with only the SPD trombone added. It does sound great when you give it the gas, but leaving in the morning for work and leaving my employer's parking garage sounds like a unrefined UPS truck. Just normal driving sounds like I'm flooring or hot rodding when actually I'm barley giving it any pedal. After a 250 mile highway trip and a couple weeks of normal driving I decided the 1800-2100 rpms drone and unrefined noises were too much and I removed it. I wonder if 2 J-pipes (anti drone device) could fit on the trombone loop or near it to reduce the unpleasant frequencies.

one of many videos of a anti drone pipe.

what sucks is a $700 equal length exhaust mod shouldn't need modification...

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score