Sparkplugs & wiring done, and

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am just back from the parts desk at the only Ford dealership within 180 miles. I handed the parts manager my VIN and asked what are the current spec plugs for my vehicle. He evidently took the way I inquired to heart and did some typing before he had an answer. He sold me Motorcraft SP-526 (CYFS-12-FP). They are double-platinum plugs. $7.33 each, $117.28 for 16 (plus tax). I probably could have gotten them cheaper at Auto Zone or O'Reilly's, but I didn't want to be That Guy.

I asked after the gap, and he said that the info on the screen didn't give the gap. Interesting. He said that they're pre-gapped. I indicated that I'd measure the gaps before installation, take an average, and gap them all the same. He seemed a little surprised that I'd go to that trouble, and said that's a really good idea. (Probably doesn't own an uber truck himself.) They are pre-gapped, but a bit randomly - somewhere between 0.41 and 0.43. Can somebody confirm the factory spec for gapping these plugs, please?

The OP mentioned that he had to use a breaker bar to break his old plugs loose. I've never been that challenged by a set of old plugs before - close, but not quite. I always install the new plugs with a modest application of copper-based high-temp grease on the threads. Never had a problem doing it that way, but I wonder if there is a special purpose grease for spark plug threads.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am just back from the parts desk at the only Ford dealership within 180 miles. I handed the parts manager my VIN and asked what are the current spec plugs for my vehicle. He evidently took the way I inquired to heart, and did some typing before he had an answer. He sold me Motorcraft SP-526 (CYFS-12-FP). They are double-platinum plugs. $7.33 each, $117.28 for 16 (plus tax). I probably could have gotten them cheaper at Auto Zone or O'Reilly's, but I didn't want to be That Guy.

I asked after the gap, and he said that the info on the screen didn't give the gap. Interesting. He said that they're pre-gapped. I indicated that I'd measure the gaps before installation, take an average, and gap them all the same. He seemed a little surprised that I'd go to that trouble, and said that's a really good idea. (Probably doesn't own an uber truck himself.) They are pre-gapped, but a bit randomly - somewhere between 0.41 and 0.43. Can somebody confirm the factory spec for gapping these plugs, please?

The OP mentioned that he has to use a breaker bar to break his old plugs loose. I've never been that challenged by a set of old plugs before - close, but not quite. I always install the new plugs with a modest application of copper-based high-temp grease on the threads. Never had a problem doing it that way, but I wonder if there is a special purpose grease for spark plug threads.
Factory gap is 44, anything a bit lower is fine