Sparkplugs & wiring done, and

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I felt like my truck wasn't running smoothly. 75,000 on the clock and should not really need anything, but, it wasn't right.

Changed plugs, wired, coil boots with new internals.

What I found was interesting. I needed an 18" breaker to loosen the plugs. Didn't like that! Every resister was corroded in and had to be dug out. Didn't like that either. One coil had a lot of crud (photo). The Belden wire set was perfect and I did like that.

Today I took it for a first drive. Ran smoothly just like new! (Photo, milage is back, up almost 1 mpg)

Side note, also rebuilt shocks all around. The ride is also back!IMG_20220301_151818447.jpgIMG_20220227_131424067.jpgIMG_20220226_124755750~2.jpg

OP
OP
Sage

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was surprised that every plug was still exactly .044. All looked good. Bottom are on the right and darker color. Makes me think the wires and corroded resistors we're the problem.

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was surprised that every plug was still exactly .044. All looked good. Bottom are on the right and darker color. Makes me think the wires and corroded resistors we're the problem.

Just a heads up, there is probably a bunch of corrosion in the coil pack as well. I ended up chasing a weak coil pack 1 by 1 as they began failing after I did what you did. I bit the bullet and ordered them from rockauto since the OEM were about $90 each from there.

OP
OP
Sage

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you remove the tires and go in from there, all the bottom ones are fairly easy with the exception of the second one on the passenger side behind the shock tower. It's not terrible, but you can barely see what you're working on.

I have a swivel spark plug socket with internal magnet. That makes it far easier. The socket is a good fit in the plug holes making starting them easier. And, no, I don't remember where I bought the plug socket 10 years ago.