Spark Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The time periods you referred to for the two mileage calculations are the same. From May to March is a long time to use for a reference due to possible errors in gallons bought and remembering exact driving conditions. .7 seems to be within the margin of error to me.
Corrected the date info.
I write down mileage and gallons and calculate MPG at each fill up. No memory work involved, so no memory errors possible.
All of that was general around town driving and one or two cross-state Interstate trips.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Ruger When I did the plugs on my Raptor, my research showed a difference in gap between 10-11 and 12-14. The 10-11 called for a gap of 39-43 while the gap for the 12-14 is 41-45.
I gapped the new plugs at 0.044. That's within 0.001 of your spec for the 10-11 models, and in the zone for the later spec. Bottom line - the gaps of all 16 spark plugs was carefully standardized. Do you think that such a minor change of gap in an engine with two plugs per cylinder can create a measurable change in MPG considering that the plugs and wires that were replaced had nearly 100,000 miles on them?

OP
OP
Blu Bug

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corrected the date info.
I write down mileage and gallons and calculate MPG at each fill up. No memory work involved, so no memory errors possible.
All of that was general around town driving and one or two cross-state Interstate trips.
Your calculations are too full of variables even if there were no errors in calculating gallons of gas used. Driving conditions change, weather conditions change, payload weight changes, road conditions change and all these affect mileage not to mention engine performance deteriorating with use.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your calculations are too full of variables even if there were no errors in calculating gallons of gas used. Driving conditions change, weather conditions change, payload weight changes, road conditions change and all these affect mileage not to mention engine performance deteriorating with use.
Yeah, thanks for your help.

Brad12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Long story short the elbow behind the throttle body was a nightmare and if it hadn't been for the online videos showing at least one person had completed the task I might have given up.

I made a video about this hoping it would help someone, so shameless plug in case someone else comes across this thread and needs/wants this info - Supercharged Raptor Spark Plug and Ignition Coil Change.