GEN 2 Spark Plug Change - How Often?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
Owners manual says 100k for stock applications or 60k under heavy duty use applications

Chris_S

Reaction score
I have experienced that a few times as well with my MPT tune. Quite unsettling. I believe it is what Cobb referred to that as "RPM-flaring between gears" in post #47 in the "COBB Stage 1 First Impressions on 2019" thread. I am keeping an eye on the Cobb TCM tuning project, because I don't want it to happen again. If they do a good job, I will jump ship.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they recommend every 10K service for plugs, the tune is bad. It's fouling up the plugs.

Andrew_

Reaction score
Yes, all new trucks come with platinum spark plugs as standard equipment. Platinum plugs easily last 100K miles. After that the gap starts to erode beyond spec which puts a higher load on the spark plug's coil, how long they last after that is anyone's guess but I've seen plugs last 200k miles.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did 60k on our 2014 Explorer Sport and they looked almost brand new.

Who ever is saying 10-15k because the 3.5 is hard on plugs doesnt know what the hell they are talking about.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a tranny/tranny tune issue, sounds helluva lot like the notorious 2-3 harsh/flare shift issues on GM 6L80E tranny and the flare/shift issues on their shit ass 8 speed hopefully not similar problems w/ this 10 speed

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have experienced that a few times as well with my MPT tune. Quite unsettling. I believe it is what Cobb referred to that as "RPM-flaring between gears" in post #47 in the "COBB Stage 1 First Impressions on 2019" thread. I am keeping an eye on the Cobb TCM tuning project, because I don't want it to happen again. If they do a good job, I will jump ship.

Not sure if this will help, but I have a tune from MPT for my 2019 that is working really well, but in order to get it to work without "RPM-flaring between gears", MPT said they had to reduce the torque being generated (impose limits). I hate the thought of not getting as much torque as possible, but I would see RPM flaring with upshifts and all downshifts (9th gear was especially bad) before they limited the amount of torque being produced. It took numerous revisions to find the magical torque number that didn't cause the RPM flaring and also didn't feel overly restricted. When I looked at my data log when the truck was exhibiting RPM flaring, the slip numbers (TSLIPM_T) would go from 700 to over 1000.

Last edited: