GEN 2 Spark Plug Change - How Often?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Cole Weezy

Cole Weezy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they also recommend changing out your headlight fluid?
Yes. They also said that I need to change my blinker fluid but I can’t seem to find the reservoir or blinker fluid anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
10,000 mile change is only if your running it hard all the time and tuned. Higher boost and Rpms will open the gaps of your spark plugs just after the 10k to 11k mile mark. The larger gaps will cause a misfire under heavy boost and could be a bad scenario if your towing of your going to pass somebody . If your stock and drive normally ,rarely get into boost your plugs will last a very long time . My 14 Tremor eco i have a plug change down to 20 min . To me its cheap insurance against misfires. Most tuner vendors want you to install colder plug and close gap to .25 or .28 .

Chris_S

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but I have a tune from MPT for my 2019 that is working really well, but in order to get it to work without "RPM-flaring between gears", MPT said they had to reduce the torque being generated (impose limits). I hate the thought of not getting as much torque as possible, but I would see RPM flaring with upshifts and all downshifts (9th gear was especially bad) before they limited the amount of torque being produced. It took numerous revisions to find the magical torque number that didn't cause the RPM flaring and also didn't feel overly restricted. When I looked at my data log when the truck was exhibiting RPM flaring, the slip numbers (TSLIPM_T) would go from 700 to over 1000.

Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but I have a tune from MPT for my 2019 that is working really well, but in order to get it to work without "RPM-flaring between gears", MPT said they had to reduce the torque being generated (impose limits). I hate the thought of not getting as much torque as possible, but I would see RPM flaring with upshifts and all downshifts (9th gear was especially bad) before they limited the amount of torque being produced. It took numerous revisions to find the magical torque number that didn't cause the RPM flaring and also didn't feel overly restricted. When I looked at my data log when the truck was exhibiting RPM flaring, the slip numbers (TSLIPM_T) would go from 700 to over 1000.

This isn’t torque in the traditional sense it’s shift torque - anyhow this is precisely why I’ve been hesitant to tune my truck- legit MIND BOGGLING that anyone would install a tune on a $75k auto equipped vehicle- and that auto being a brand new industry first TEN speed- and not have the tranny re-programmed. I know MPT does tune the tranny....but in essence this is a GM tranny, and the little quirks in it are very similar to other issues in GM derived trannies, and to be completely honest I doubt hey really know what they’re doing.

It was VERY hard to tame a GM 6L80E or the 8L60 without having shift flare or extremely harsh/delayed shifts while also extracting the added performance from ECM/AF tuning.

As for the misfiring- while
I’m not tuned I’ve run 93 octane exclusively since day 1 & drive hard and in sport mode most of the time. I swapped my factory plugs out for the SP542s and the stuttering/misfiring stopped.

The shifting issues? I’d get a gearhead tune or wait til livernois is ready or if MPT does revisions/updates.

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed my plugs at 70k and they all looked like this. Is this normal for plugs that recommended up to 100k?

Some of them seemed burned in since they were all dried up and almost seized in the engine. Several turns had them squeeking and like they were turning through crud.

After experiencing this I won't let the plugs go over 20k. Just got the car 2k miles ago and the service history didn't show plugs were ever changed. The most recent service entry was at 60k for major service which I would had thought covered plugs but these look way worn than 10k miles ago.

20221018_220821.jpg20221018_220852.jpg20221018_220937.jpg

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my plugs at 70k and they all looked like this. Is this normal for plugs that recommended up to 100k?

Some of them seemed burned in since they were all dried up and almost seized in the engine. Several turns had them squeeking and like they were turning through crud.

After experiencing this I won't let the plugs go over 20k. Just got the car 2k miles ago and the service history didn't show plugs were ever changed. The most recent service entry was at 60k for major service which I would had thought covered plugs but these look way worn than 10k miles ago.

Are you full stock or running a tune? My OG plugs looked like that at 70k when I changed them to NGK's. I've been running a COBB Stage 2 tune since about 25k miles

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently no tune but I changed them since goose recommends colder plugs and changing them if you don't know how old they are.

I torqued to the recommended 11 lbs which feels less than turning an old door knob. I've never installed spark plugs that required to be so softly tightened I wonder if it could be too loose. It felt like some dirt in the threads can make it appear to be torqued down but who really knows.