GEN 2 Spark plug change, change Coils too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTechOne, I certinally respect your advice. I have two questions. Shouldn't plugs run any where between 60,000 and 100,000 miles on a stock factory tuned 3.5 EB engine, depending on what your doing with that truck. Also is there any millage point when a person might start thinking about changing their OEM coils?

Thanks

Correct; the spark plug replacement interval is 100,000 under “Normal” operating conditions and 60,000 under “Severe” operating conditions. There is no mileage at which coils should be changed; they only need to be replaced if they fail. As mentioned earlier in the thread though by @EricM, the coil boots should be inspected with every spark plug change. If the boots are cracked, torn, melted, or otherwise worn/damaged, they can be serviced separately from the coil itself.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, the ecoboost needs plug changes more often than you would think. This is why the tighter, .028 gap needs to be maintained. So, you change plugs every 20k miles, or you can pull them every 20k miles and re-gap to .028. Either way, if you don't do this on this engine, you risk misfires or lack of performance. This gets sort of dangerous when you are merging on the expressway, or trying to clear an intersection, or even passing another vehicle.

That is not true at all. The plugs do not need to be re-gapped or replaced every 20k miles. If an engine has been tuned/modified, then the interval needs to be adjusted accordingly.

OP
OP
Tr4ckD4ys

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is not true at all. The plugs do not need to be re-gapped or replaced every 20k miles. If an engine has been tuned/modified, then the interval needs to be adjusted accordingly.
@FordTechOne I’m sorry this thread got hijacked but I have a strong suspicion that user “Kuan” and user “rightway” are the same Sasquatch person you’ve had a couple unpleasant interactions with already... ignore those guys. Appreciate the input though.

@Big Blue for awareness

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne I’m sorry this thread got hijacked but I have a strong suspicion that user “Kuan” and user “rightway” are the same Sasquatch person you’ve had a couple unpleasant interactions with already... ignore those guys. Appreciate the input though.

@Big Blue for awareness

Not the same person, one has a CA IP address and the other one is in OH. They do not appear to be violating any FRF rules with these posts.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, the ecoboost needs plug changes more often than you would think. This is why the tighter, .028 gap needs to be maintained. So, you change plugs every 20k miles, or you can pull them every 20k miles and re-gap to .028. Either way, if you don't do this on this engine, you risk misfires or lack of performance. This gets sort of dangerous when you are merging on the expressway, or trying to clear an intersection, or even passing another vehicle.
that's not true at all. this is 100% false/