GEN 2 Spark plug change, change Coils too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll admit, I just came from a Toyota where I think the recommended interval for spark plug changes was 100,000 miles...so what's the interval on Raptors? Is this for a performance increase or just maintenance (I understand the maintenance will result in a performance increase)?

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll admit, I just came from a Toyota where I think the recommended interval for spark plug changes was 100,000 miles...so what's the interval on Raptors? Is this for a performance increase or just maintenance (I understand the maintenance will result in a performance increase)?
It’s in your manual

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reason why I asked this question in first place is because when I replaced the sparks on my cayenne P cars of A would always recommend changing coils too.
That being said: This is a m-effing truck. So I’ll do what you guys say and only touch the sparks. Should I still go with those pre-gapped Ford Performance ones? @FordTechOne
I believe @nikhsub1 has swapped them out for cooler plugs. I remember reading something about it not too long ago. Between @FordTechOne for a factory perspective and from @nikhsub1 from a user perspective, you should be covered.

OP
OP
Tr4ckD4ys

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe @nikhsub1 has swapped them out for cooler plugs. I remember reading something about it not too long ago. Between @FordTechOne for a factory perspective and from @nikhsub1 from a user perspective, you should be covered.
Do those Ford Performance ones count as "cooler" ones? What about the gap? Factory is 28 I think - those ones are 26. Apologies for the noob questions, but what difference does that even make?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reason why I asked this question in first place is because when I replaced the sparks on my cayenne P cars of A would always recommend changing coils too.
That being said: This is a m-effing truck. So I’ll do what you guys say and only touch the sparks. Should I still go with those pre-gapped Ford Performance ones? @FordTechOne

Are you changing the plugs because of other mods like a tune?

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Can someone educate me on why plugs would be changed with so few miles? Does the tune make use of them to produce more power?
Higher boost with tune and high rpms eat plugs. As gap opens up its harder for spark to jump gap puts more stress on your coils as well. My 14 ecoboost, I would change plugs every 10,000 miles. If I waited till 12,000 miles , started getting misfires. If you puttz around and drive with little boost and lower rpms plugs would last longer but that ain't no fun.

Smaller gap less voltage needed to jump gap and easier on your coils. Short read link below

https://mooregoodink.com/big-plug-g...ite-the-opposite-simple-advice-for-beginners/

Still doesn't explain OP 750 miles , unless he has bad coil or gaps were not set to .25 thousands when installed.

OP
OP
Tr4ckD4ys

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you changing the plugs because of other mods like a tune?
No - I’m just a maintenance maniac. I keep the truck stock, performance wise, and don’t meddle with the engine. I do oil changes every 4K-5K miles with M1 Extended FS. I’m hitting 20K soon and thought it’d be worthwhile (as a long term owner) to also do sparks and differential fluids.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are certain cars that are more prone to coils failing. Some cars require alot more work to reach the plugs/coils so some people just opt to change the coils as maintenance while doing plugs. Personally I wouldn't change the coils when doing plugs. However, if someone wants to change coils because they are paying for labor already or just want to do it for peace of mind, I would not judge them.

rightway

Reaction score
You are referencing an old issue that affected 2006/07/08 Fusion, Taurus, and Edge with the 3.0 or 3.5 V6 in which a worn faulty coil could damage the driver in the PCM, which required PCM replacement. The replacement PCMs had a more robust driver to prevent the issue from reoccurring.

Regardless, both the Gen 1 & Gen 2 EcoBoost use a 3 wire system in which the driver is mounted in the coil instead of the PCM, so there is no risk of the described issue occurring.

FordTechOne, I certinally respect your advice. I have two questions. Shouldn't plugs run any where between 60,000 and 100,000 miles on a stock factory tuned 3.5 EB engine, depending on what your doing with that truck. Also is there any millage point when a person might start thinking about changing their OEM coils?

Thanks