Spare tire Delete/Removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a valid question. No 100 lbs isn't going to make that 3 ton truck a 10 second beast.....but throw 100 lbs 1/4 mile

OP
OP
W

Wolfman66

Reaction score
Heck, it isn’t just race times, most of my other trucks handled better with less weight on rear, but they aren’t the new Raptor with link suspension. Too me the Raptor is too soft by one notch, I can get rid of a lot of body roll without hurting ride by setting suspension in stiffest setting. I never run normal it is just mushy soft and very poor handling even on most rough or tight roads. Also, weight reduction helps gas mileage over time it could add up if gas is high long term. I just hate the Murphy factor of dropping rear tire. I will say this: my wife’s Shelby GT has no spare tire either just a tire pump and tire goo.

J R

Reaction score
Has anyone tried running a Raptor with spare tire removed? I know it is risky for off Road but I love how a truck handles and rides after removal of all that weight on rear end. Noticeably faster as well. If taking trip I carry tire in bed or on trailer. Also carry tire plugs and fixaflat, but still some risk. Been bite once doing this. But if gain is big enough I might try it. Has anyone tried this and is performance worth it?
Noticeably faster? With one spare wheel and tire combo it’s only going to be 60-70 lbs LOL of static weight. You must be joking, your car is extremely capable with a factory tuned high output engine

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
stock cast wheels are like 32 pounds, bead lock capable are 38 pounds.
Stock KO2 is 64 pounds without weights. I had over a pound of weights per wheel at delivery.

Even so, this is a poor life choice.

I was shuttling the wife to wineries in Fredericksburg, TX when we happened upon a woebegone bmw driver. I hate when peasants and their peasant cars are close to my Raptor but the only other spot was next to a prius. So not much difference.

Sad, pathetic, peasant car driver was kind of hard to ignore so I quipped “bought a bmw, did you?” He replies, “got a flat”.
I decide to participate: “so... change it”

SPPCD: “I can’t, I don’t think this car has a spare"
Me: “You think, or you know?"
SPPCD: “I”m not sure"
Me: “So, why don’t we check?"
SPPCD: “ok"
<snip>
this model beemer doesn’t have a spare tire, not even a cheap, mini donut.
Me: “I’ve got an awesome compressor, I’ll air you up, you go to a tire shop"
SPPCD: “Great"

I plug my VIAIR compressor in and hit the ultra low profile tire for about 90 seconds and no change. I listen close and can hear hissing. I tell SPPCD to move his peasant car forward.

He has a LAG BOLT piercing his 21” goodyear. There’s not enough plug or patch in the world to fix this and no way the compressor is going to fix it.

But wait, there’s MORE.
I suggest - hey, let’s jack it up, get the wheel off and go get a replacement.

SPPCD: “does this car have a jack?"
10 minutes of scrambling in ignorance later, no, in fact, this practically new bmw not only doesn’t have a spare, it doesn’t have a jack either. He doesn’t even have a wrench to loosen the lug nuts.

30 minutes later, wife is now outside from the tasting and helps find a jack and compatible lug wrench. She’s never changed a tire in her life but managed to not only know more than SPPCD, but got more done than him too! Fortunately by this time, winery staff are engaged and offer to shuttle him to Walmart for help.

Don’t be sad pathetic peasant car driver.
Have a spare, a jack, a wrench or socket & driver for your wheels and know how to use them.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone tried running a Raptor with spare tire removed? I know it is risky for off Road but I love how a truck handles and rides after removal of all that weight on rear end. Noticeably faster as well. If taking trip I carry tire in bed or on trailer. Also carry tire plugs and fixaflat, but still some risk. Been bite once doing this. But if gain is big enough I might try it. Has anyone tried this and is performance worth it?
If you have ever had this happen, and I have twice. You will carry two spares not 0.
IMG_31851.jpgIMG_31801.jpgIMG_31791.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts