GEN 1 Spare tire bed mount help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellas I need help. I have been scouring the internet for months for a tire carrier for my bed. I love the dual mount but I don’t want to buy two wheels and two tires. Nfab makes an angled carrier, lex Motorsports makes a carrier that bolts to the 4 bed bolts but none are the kind I really want. I drew up a drawing to where the mount would bolt to the 2 back bolts on each side side of the bed where the bed insert is bolted to. From there it would angle to the bed where the tire would sit on it and then there would be a pad where the hub would bolt to it and hold it an angle. Here is a mock-up just so people get the idea and then a drawing showing kinda what I’m looking to do. I’m no artist so please don’t judge. Please I’m looking for ideas and hoping someone has done something and can give me some insight.

Thanks in advance

a2fab1b2407bbefc6044d6bc84d59501.jpg

d41c6fc6eb9d8b0b8d55c53e7eb54826.jpg

aa0ae0096ea0bb5d14017c15b8fdc436.jpg

a2b685a48b72d3ea7f0f56d639c5f72f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well - I had a similar dilemma on another truck that owned.
I used a LARGE gate hinge welded to the bed. I dimpled the bed so the pivot of the hinge would allow the hinge to sit flush. (I could remove the the tire fold the hinge flat and actually use the be if needed).
I also cut a slot in the hinge so when folded to 90 degrees a self made J-hook fit in the slot. The J-hook was welded to a tube attached to threaded bar stock. This fit though the center of the rim and a machined aluminum adaptor secured the tire with a spin on t-handle securing the entire assembly.
It would have been much easier to show pics but I don't have any. LOL
This was easily enough to hold a 100LBS tire. I'm sure more surface area would have been required to hold 2 tires stacked. It depends on how you use your truck.I never had a problem with the one tire mount and I was exceedingly hard on that truck. I broke the frame 3 separate times in different locations. F-250

OP
OP
R

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked into the tailgate and actually found a Wilco for sale locally. I just don’t have the money for what he wants for it right now. I can’t believe with all the mounting options that none of these big companies have come out with a low budget simple bolt on kit

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have looked into the tailgate and actually found a Wilco for sale locally. I just don’t have the money for what he wants for it right now. I can’t believe with all the mounting options that none of these big companies have come out with a low budget simple bolt on kit

I like the Wilco, but they are pricey. I've also seen the Westcott Design dual spare carrier too and that one looks great. For me right now strapping it down to the bed has worked just fine.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about installing the d rings in the bed and just using 2 tie downs? I did that and it works perfectly

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

shortdeck

Reaction score
I made this simple setup for the bed of my truck. I don’t know the bed bolt layout of the Gen 1 Raptors, so this may not even be an option.

ae3f27b26e2349ec2ed6b0fda7064203.jpg

OP
OP
R

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made this simple setup for the bed of my truck. I don’t know the bed bolt layout of the Gen 1 Raptors, so this may not even be an option.

ae3f27b26e2349ec2ed6b0fda7064203.jpg

Very nice. I was mainly looking for something angled to see the tire just coming out of the bed. I just like that look. I guess if it comes to it I’ll go that route it’s very clean I know SDHQ sells a very similar kit

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Roush2012 I'm selling my old one SVC built for me. Shipping can be expensive but I'm letting it go for dirt cheap in comparison to what I paid if you're interested. Lays flat and folds up. Locks in place with pins.
IMG_4213.JPG TC2.JPG TC3.jpg

OP
OP
R

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it. That would work great for me. Sending pm