Spare as a permanent replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. I have the BL capable rims on my '17. This is the first I'd heard anyone mention an E-range spare. You do make a valid point, not the best to mix tires of different stiffness. Might make some...interesting...handling characteristics.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll check my spare load range when I get a minute.

I didn't clarify well enough what I was thinking with TPMS sensor for the spare. I wish the truck had the capability to display the spare tire pressure when it is in the spare position. Most people never check the pressure of their spare tire. So that sensor would let them know when the tire is low.

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will be possible to monitor pressure in the 5th wheel without adding another receiver, to accept the 5th sensor. Plus, the computer would have to be programmed to accept a 5th sensor. That type of programming is probably more than you can do with a hand-held connected to OBD port.

Neat idea though, maybe the 2020 will have that along with the 7.0.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it will be possible to monitor pressure in the 5th wheel without adding another receiver, to accept the 5th sensor. Plus, the computer would have to be programmed to accept a 5th sensor. That type of programming is probably more than you can do with a hand-held connected to OBD port.

Neat idea though, maybe the 2020 will have that along with the 7.0.

That's what I'm saying I wish it did. Came with a sensor for the spare. Especially since it's the same tire and wheel as the rest of the truck (with beadlocks). So it would show the spare pressure just like the other 4 tires AND it would be simple to rotate in the mix then.

E rated spare is obviously for "Extra".......

drewabbs

Reaction score
Confirmed. All of mine, including my spare is Load C. Same tire, Same Rim, just no TPMS and and comes with a cool temporary use only sticker.
How you guys with the 2 spares mixing yours in? Adding TPMS or no?

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Confirmed. All of mine, including my spare is Load C. Same tire, Same Rim, just no TPMS and and comes with a cool temporary use only sticker.
How you guys with the 2 spares mixing yours in? Adding TPMS or no?
Yes, truck realizes they are spinning after a few miles.